Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding insult to injury in the message room

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 15

I have just had a 'demand' from a "client" that I blocked to send me a sample of my work. This is in my message room. I blocked this client, why is he showing? Why is he in messages at all?

Edited to add: Why don't 'blocked' clients get archived rather than real clients?

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
2 of 15

Good point Nichola!  

My assumption is that the block only prevents them from sending additional invites, and the messaging system hasn't added the functionality yet.  It's probably not something that is high on their radar given how many other bugs we encounter on the site.

Also, it does seem that they may be planning on pushing out updates this month.  I've heard that at least the double invites are going to be fixed in "January" but that is not something that should take a month to fix.  So my guess is that they are waiting to push out updates once per month instead of when they are ready.  This makes sense from a technical standpoint.  

If they don't fix this, and nothing else seems to change for the better this month, then I don't know what they're doing in there... lol  New functionality instead of fixing what's broke?!  I hope not!

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
3 of 15
Daniel, I've been wondering about this double invite nonsense. This morning I woke up to 10 unread emails in my inbox because I had 5 invitations to interview. RIDICULOUS.
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 15

Hi Nichola,

Could you please clarify if you chose to block the client when declining an invitation from them or you used the function to block a user in the Messages? I am checking with the team.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 15

Kind of off topic, but since you mentioned it...

NO CLIENT should be demanding that any contractor provide a free sample. Whether that client is blocked or not.

I understand that there is no technological way to allow free-flowing communications, while preventing clients from doing that... But just saying...

Clients shouldn't "demand" anything. Ask politely. You'll get better results.

And no matter how nicely a client asks, no client should request that contractors do free work.

colettelewis
Community Guru
6 of 15

Preston when I bid on a job, I always send a sample of my work. To be fair to the person I blocked, he was only asking me to send a sample of my work. Completely different from doing a specific piece of work for nothing.

I blocked the client for ethical reasons.

colettelewis
Community Guru
7 of 15

Valeria, thanks for replying. I blocked the client when declining an invitation. My reasons for blocking were ethical. (I think it is dangerous for medically unqualified people to write on topics that could be potentially harmful to a patient.)

I did not expect to see this person popping up in my message box, with a specific request to send a sample of my writing. My reply was . . . short (although it would not have been bleeped).

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 15

Thanks for clarifying that, Nichola. I am checking with the team why messages from the client weren't blocked.

~ Valeria
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 15

@Nichola L wrote:

Valeria, thanks for replying. I blocked the client when declining an invitation.

As far as I understand it that will stop the client from sending you a new invitation for a new job, but not block them from sending a message to you if you previously corresponded via messages.

colettelewis
Community Guru
10 of 15

I did not correspond via messages. I declined the job with a few words in the message box provided, not from my message page, and I blocked the client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS