Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding multiple milestones to a contract by the Freelancer

allergywriter
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
11 of 27

I'm with J on this one.

If you want to provide full services, you should be able to provide full services.  On the other platform that shall not be named (but used pleasing blue) I added milestones and set up repeat jobs for my clients on a regular basis.  It made for a smooth working relationship.

All they needed to do was contact me through a workroom that had been used for a previous job and say "Hey Cheryl, could you please blah blah" and I could certainly give them a price for "blah "blah blah" and even "blah blah blah".  One message from them agreeing to the terms and time line and whoosh, Cheryl set up a repeat job or added a milestone and all the client had to do was click to approve and fund.  E-Lance let Cheryl do helpful things for her clients.

Upwork wants the client to do all the work and all Cheryl can do is answer her client's questions about how to do things and agree with them that green platforms are difficult to use and make them go Grrrrrrrr

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
12 of 27

Yes, let's open this up for discussion ... again!

I've just discovered that this feature, available to me on Elance, is not an option here. Why not?! What is the reasoning? If you didn't make navigating this site so difficult for clients, we wouldn't hesitate to ask them to add milestones - but as someone mentioned, all that may do is add to their frustration.

I saw no mod respond to this post - is that because there is no intelligent reason for this function not to exist?

allergywriter
Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
13 of 27
The reason for the crickets is that they aren't interested in adding this feature. I think they have enough just trying to get enough duct tape, spit, and Kleenex to keep the existing features on life support
boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
14 of 27

MacGuyver.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 27

Hi All,

Adding an ability for freelancer to add milestones is actually on the product team's roadmap. It may take some time to implement but they are actively working on it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Guru
16 of 27

I wonder if the "product team" knows how to prioritize?

Instead of playing around with the seemingly useless and/or foolish things they try out on us on a regular basis, maybe they should change the order of what needs to be taken care of and tackle the big things.

This is a big thing. "Some time" isn't soon enough.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
17 of 27

Perhaps not everyone sees the milestone issue as  a "big thing."

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 27

@Virginia F wrote:

I wonder if the "product team" knows how to prioritize?

Instead of playing around with the seemingly useless and/or foolish things they try out on us on a regular basis, maybe they should change the order of what needs to be taken care of and tackle the big things.

This is a big thing. "Some time" isn't soon enough.

Virginia,

Priorities for the product team—more precisely, the various product teams—are set by management. Not by them. Not by us.

It took about nine months for Upwork to commit to "roadmapping" more milestone control by contractors. That they have committed at all suggests a degree of listening on their part. At this point I'm waiting to see what they come up with.

Best,

MIchael

[edited to add:] p.s. Upwork's implementations often seem to choose delivery speed over due deliberation, design, and testing. I quail at the thought of urging the former at the expense of the latter.

mtngigi
Community Guru
19 of 27

Thank DMM - it's good to know it's on someone's radar - I only hope it happens sooner rather than later. It is a necessary, important function that's sorely missing.

dkstar
Kirit D Member Since: Apr 27, 2016
20 of 27

I also faced similar problem.

Most of my client assign task but can't create milestone immediately after discussion. sometime. they also not know what task going on. so everytime remind him about work going on and make sure that milestone created by him.

I think that if freelancer have access to create milestone then atleast they have track this points going on and their deadline will this. and it will finish on this day. this will very helpful. specially for me. because mostly i have old clients since last 3years.

I hope upwork team work on this point as soon as possible..

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS