cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding multiple milestones to a contract by the Freelancer

b753b3bd
Michael S Member Since: Oct 24, 2016
21 of 27

As a new client I am pretty surprised at the lack of this functionality.  I am now stuck on what to do for a new job I was about to post.  

I was planning to have 3 milestones with fixed percentages of the total fixed price contract awarded for each milestone.  I was also hoping that the both  the contractor and I could add, delete or modify the milestones as we go (or before we start).  I was also hoping to fund the entire project, but also be able to cancel the contract at any milestone (same with the contractor, since there are bad clients) without penalty.

This way both of us would know the total value, what the payment plan is, and when are our mutual escape points should things not go as expected.  In addition, an appropriate change method would also allow for changes in total contract value and schedule as milestones, tasks or changes were created, deleted or changed.

I don't think this is nothing new, just implement what is done in business every day (or maybe the way it used to be?).  Or maybe this does exist and I am confused.

Also, if this is not an extremely high priority to Upwork, can someone share with me what is a higher priority?  Is there a thread/page that discusses and looks for feedback on all upcoming changes?  I am impressed that Mods regulary respond to questions/comments on this site... so Kudos to them for that.

PS: Why is there not an auto spell check on this site?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
22 of 27

Hi Michael,

We do not have ETA yet for any changes in the fixed-price system but we are collecting feedback about the milestones and the team continuously working on possible improvements.

A few notes for your post:

- You, as a client, can set and fund several milestones when you make an offer to a freelancer:

Screenshot_3.png

- When you release each milestone, you can edit the amount you release. Note that if you release less than what's funded for that milestone, the remaining funds will remain in Escrow.

- A contract can be ended anytime either by the client or the freelancer. If the freelancer ends the contract, all the funds in Escrow are refunded to the client. If the client ends the contract, they can either release the remaining funds to the freelancer or request a refund from Escrow. The freelancer will need to either reject or approve the refund.

You can spellcheck your Community post by clicking on this button:

Screenshot_4.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
23 of 27

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Michael,

We do not have ETA yet for any changes in the fixed-price system but we are collecting feedback about the milestones and the team continuously working on possible improvements.

A few notes for your post:

- You, as a client, can set and fund several milestones when you make an offer to a freelancer:

Screenshot_3.png

- When you release each milestone, you can edit the amount you release. Note that if you release less than what's funded for that milestone, the remaining funds will remain in Escrow.

- A contract can be ended anytime either by the client or the freelancer. If the freelancer ends the contract, all the funds in Escrow are refunded to the client. If the client ends the contract, they can either release the remaining funds to the freelancer or request a refund from Escrow. The freelancer will need to either reject or approve the refund.

You can spellcheck your Community post by clicking on this button:

Screenshot_4.png

Valeria,
I'd like to make a suggestion, if they're still testing things out. This:
"When you release each milestone, you can edit the amount you release. Note that if you release less than what's funded for that milestone, the remaining funds will remain in Escrow." (and the balance moved to the next milestone, right?)
As a freelancer who prefers to have fixed rate jobs fully-funded up front, it would be really helpful to have some sort of explanation in that milestone window about this process for the client's clarification, because some (not all) clients balk at fully funding a project. Trying to explain how all that works in a bid is cumbersome.
There's another issue. I submitted a bid and wanted to set up two milestones, the second milestone covering any revisions the client might want, and then sending final files. If the first milestone is fully funded, I have no need for $$ in the second milestone, but I had to put something there. So I had to subtract from the first milestone and add it back in the second milestone ... leaving the first milestone not fully-funded.
Can there be a way that when a milestone is an actual deadline date to wrap a job up, there's no need to fund it?
Maybe this doesn't make sense and only one milestone is needed ... but the way things work for what I do, sometimes it makes sense to have several milestones.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
24 of 27

Hi Virginia,

Regarding editing a Milestone to release a lesser amount, the remaining funds will be used to fund Escrow for the subsequent Milestone, after the client requests this action and not automatically.

I understand the idea behind creating a contingency Milestone, but since the Milestone creation option we recently introduced for freelancer is intended to be used to break up a client's job in stages and show the cost for each one, creating a Milestone without any funds might confuse a client. Also, it would in a way go against the idea that Escrow should be fully funded for all Milestones at the onset of a contract. I'll share your feedback and rationale with the team, but in the meantime you might want to consider including an additional explanation in your proposal instead of adding the Milestone, and asking the client to add an unfunded Milestone in their offer during the interview.

Untitled
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
25 of 27

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Virginia,

Regarding editing a Milestone to release a lesser amount, the remaining funds will be used to fund Escrow for the subsequent Milestone, after the client requests this action and not automatically.

I understand the idea behind creating a contingency Milestone, but since the Milestone creation option we recently introduced for freelancer is intended to be used to break up a client's job in stages and show the cost for each one, creating a Milestone without any funds might confuse a client. Also, it would in a way go against the idea that Escrow should be fully funded for all Milestones at the onset of a contract. I'll share your feedback and rationale with the team, but in the meantime you might want to consider including an additional explanation in your proposal instead of adding the Milestone, and asking the client to add an unfunded Milestone in their offer during the interview.

Thank you Vlad ... that last suggestion could work, though I still think the milestone process can be confusing to clients. Not sure I understand how it would go against the idea of a fully funded escrow.

If the first milestone is fully-funded, and it's not possible to create an unfunded milestone, then we're really left with just one milestone for the whole job - which can work for some quick jobs, but could be problematic for a long-term project - the last job I completed lasted 4 months. That client never did grasp that I wanted it fully funded at the outset, but he did break it up and fund each milestone accordingly.

I need to think a bit on this some more.  Smiley Indifferent

byronloker
Byron L Member Since: Apr 19, 2017
26 of 27

As a new Upworker, I now find I need this feature urgently and it's not available. Adding my voice to the chorus.

goodguyjosephh
Joseph Marvin A Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
27 of 27

This feature is still not available as of today. It really pains me to know that I'll have to request payment most of the time due to undeclared milestones. Bidded projects have different pipelines when they are already ongoing due to the things that are discussed with the client. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS