cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding skills to Upwork list

Highlighted
Jane G Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
1 of 4

I currently show as having no skills because nothing I do is listed. My work is in:

Leadership

Governance (and your search feature shouldn't be equating that to government, or think that an exact phrase of "board of directors" should equate to "job board", sigh)

Strategic Planning

Ethics (and why does your search program equate integrity with integration?)

Interim Executive

I would very much appreciate being able to list my skills. Thank you.

Highlighted
Junho S Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
2 of 4

Strategic-Planning - this skill already exists. (try finding it by typing "planning" first instead of strategic)

Ethics - this seems too open-ended or broad to be treated as a skill. Try "hrm", "human-resource-managemtn" or "human-sciences"

Interim Executie - this does not sound like a skill, but rather a job title

There is a few tricks to keep in mind when searching for skills:

• the final "tag" or skill will replace spaces with hyphens
  • try using chunks of words of your skill first to see if a synonymous/equivalent skill exists in the list
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

When the specific skills you want to hightlight are not available as choices in the official skills list, you will want to emphasize those skills in your overview text.

You can try to approximate as much as possible in the official skills list. But clients, if they do a general search, will be able to find you if based on what you mention in your overview text.

More importantly, the clients whose jobs you apply for will be able to read your overview text.

One thing to keep in mind, though, that the official skills list is built based on what clients have typically searched and are interested to hiring for.

The skills you are mentioning may be important, but they may not necessarily be the kind of thing clients are looking to hire as a remote, online contractor.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
4 of 4

Jane,

Also bear in mind that your tag line should be made up (as descriptively and naturally as you can manage) of search terms. It may (conjecturally) be that your tagline is weighted in search heavier than your regular skill items and/or body text.

Best,
Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS