Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding sponsor Proposal feature

claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
11 of 23

@Lloyd C wrote:

It always worked well for me and standing out from all the junk proposals. 

On elance the clients had the option to sort the proposals by earnings, feedback, rating, level. If you had a good work history, that could have given a boost to your proposal visibility... maybe this was the reason you stand out from junk proposals not necessarily because you sponsored.

shakingcupmedia
Tim Lloyd C Member Since: May 5, 2017
12 of 23
With connects. Pay in terms of upwork is connects.

And statistically speaking if there are 20 bids the client isn't reading them all and if so by 10 they are bored. If you ever hired anyone on here you would know the top 5 - just like in google search results - gets 80% of the jobs.

I've been using this platform since 2009, it worked for me and many others. It's about marketing and being seen to have the best chance of winning bids.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 23

@Lloyd C wrote:
With connects. Pay in terms of upwork is connects.

Connects are free. I wish they were "pay" seeing that I have got 210 of them.....

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
14 of 23

@Petra R wrote:
Connects are free. I wish they were "pay" seeing that I have got 210 of them.....

Why do we always have to do this around here? You are a smart person and you know exactly what he's talking about. You also know that the experiences of established freelancers and new freerlancers is very different.

I've lived both of these and in short succession. Two months ago I was paying cash to buy connects because I kept running out trying to get jobs. Now I am sitting on 130 of them.

For some people connects cost cash. They cannot make a decent amount of money here on 30 proposals a month.

Even if you aren't paying cash for them, you are expending a limited resource. There's an opportunity cost involved.

Getting connects is "free" -- to a point. Spending them never is.

cartrellgeneral
Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
15 of 23

Lloyd where are you getting your statistics that a client will not read all 20 proposals? When I was recruiting for a position, it was not uncommon for me to be flooded with 100s of resumes so 20 is nothing. It depends on the person. I am looking for qualified candidates and if that means weeding through 20 proposals then I will do it. I won't jump at the first few resumes I read.

shakingcupmedia
Tim Lloyd C Member Since: May 5, 2017
16 of 23
Hmm. I have a paying account, always have. I didn't know you could have that many free connects. Guess I'm just doing it all wrong.
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
17 of 23

@Lloyd C wrote:
Hmm. I have a paying account, always have. I didn't know you could have that many free connects. Guess I'm just doing it all wrong.

You can't have 210 connects on a basic membership because they don't roll over.

They only accumulate if you have a paid membership.

Or Upwork has given you a big bag of them for some mysterious reason.

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
18 of 23

@Ela K wrote:

@Lloyd C wrote:

You can't have 210 connects on a basic membership because they don't roll over.

They only accumulate if you have a paid membership.

Or Upwork has given you a big bag of them for some mysterious reason.

I won't be surprised if Petra gets the "big bag for some mysterious" reasons.  I can sense that she has a big heart (even though sometimes she tells me that my posts are irrelevant and nonsense).  I can attest to the fact that she (if ever she's really a she) is authentic the way she is.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 23

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

I won't be surprised if Petra gets the "big bag for some mysterious" reasons.

No, I don't get anything for any reason, "mysterious" or not, and find that suggestion rather offensive.

I do have the Plus Plan, but not for the Connects, obviously, those are the rolled over ones from the past months because I haven't used any.

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

(if ever she's really a she)

How DARE you? Now you're accusing me of using a fake name and picture? What is wrong with you?

shetani
Community Guru
Ines H Member Since: Feb 15, 2017
20 of 23

@Lloyd,

Sponsored proposals wouldn't make much sense on Upwork, in my opinion.

Elance's default sorting was based on the time when the proposal was submitted (the newest proposals showed first, I think. Or the other way around LOL)

Upwork has a different algorithm - they sort by "best match" by default which is (debatable) better than a sponsored proposal. If the algorithm determines you're the best match for the client's project, your proposal will be at the top with other best matches, even if it was submitted as 50th in line.

All other proposals are "hidden" under a "Show More" button.

Cheers,
Ines

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS