Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address Issue

Highlighted
Maya B Member Since: Feb 5, 2019
1 of 5

Hello,

I'm a college student, so my permanent address is different than where I am living now. Is there any way to show that I am currently based in Boston? I'd prefer that my hometown not be displayed, but there doesn't seem to be any way around this.

I realize the importance of transparency, but I'm frustrated that there is no way for private information to be different than what is listed on my profile.

Additionally, I go by a name different than my legal name for all professional and creative work, but I am assuming there is no way to show that on my profile, since my name has to match my ID?

Thanks,

Mia

Community Leader
Matthew T Member Since: Nov 18, 2017
2 of 5

Mia S wrote:

Hello,

I'm a college student, so my permanent address is different than where I am living now. Is there any way to show that I am currently based in Boston? I'd prefer that my hometown not be displayed, but there doesn't seem to be any way around this.

I realize the importance of transparency, but I'm frustrated that there is no way for private information to be different than what is listed on my profile.

Additionally, I go by a name different than my legal name for all professional and creative work, but I am assuming there is no way to show that on my profile, since my name has to match my ID?

Thanks,

Mia

So you live somewhere other than at your address, and you're uncomfortable with anyone knowing the CITY even, and you also go by a name other than your real one. Isn't all of those identification rules supposed to be to protect everyone from false identities?

I certainly wouldn't be happy finding out that the person provided with access to secure areas and data of my business was using false everything. 

Not so much to worry about since UpWork doesn't display private personal info that could be used to do you harm.

That's just me ringing in though.

Good luck to you Ms.Doe

Matthew

Maya B Member Since: Feb 5, 2019
3 of 5

Hi Matthew,

I understand why the rules are in place, and I get where you're coming from. I've had negative experiences in the past with stalking, online harassment, and someone hacking into my accounts and threatening my followers, so I prefer relative anonymity when possible.

I think I'll be able to find people who are willing to hire someone who uses a pen name and currently lives in university housing, but I appreciate your concern. Again, I understand why the rules are in place and I'm willing to follow them in this space, I just wish there were more options for how my information is presented. Thanks

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
4 of 5

Maya B wrote:

Hi Matthew,

I understand why the rules are in place, and I get where you're coming from. I've had negative experiences in the past with stalking, online harassment, and someone hacking into my accounts and threatening my followers, so I prefer relative anonymity when possible.

I think I'll be able to find people who are willing to hire someone who uses a pen name and currently lives in university housing, but I appreciate your concern. Again, I understand why the rules are in place and I'm willing to follow them in this space, I just wish there were more options for how my information is presented. Thanks

I understand your concerns, but this is not a social media platform, you don't have followers, you don't post daily, you don't share pictures except one of yourself, you won't aquire a stalker. Upwork is the least of your worries in that regard.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
BEST ANSWER
5 of 5

Hi Maya,

Please note that your profile must represent you as an individual and that all the information in your profile including your name and location needs to be accurate, truthful and verifiable.

Please check this article for more information.

Let us know if you have any other questions,.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS