🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Addressing the Need for Free Training Res...
Page options
click_it_genious
Community Member

Addressing the Need for Free Training Resources in Developing Countries

Dear Upwork Community,
In today's digital age, the affordability of paid training programs is a pressing issue for many talented individuals in developing countries. We propose making training materials, courses, and resources freely accessible to bridge this gap and foster inclusivity. This initiative offers several benefits:

Global Talent Pool Enrichment: Free training resources can help cultivate a diverse, skilled global workforce, enhancing Upwork's environment.
Economic Empowerment: Providing free training opportunities can uplift prospects, reduce unemployment, and support local economies.
Knowledge Exchange: Promoting free learning fosters cross-border knowledge exchange, collaboration, and global cooperation.
Sustainability: Online training reduces the carbon footprint associated with physical centers.

We propose the following actions:
Free Training Modules: Develop and offer accessible training modules.
Collaboration: Partner with organizations to create high-quality, region-specific content.
Mentorship Programs: Establish mentorship initiatives.
Community Contributions: Encourage members to create and share free training materials.

These steps unlock potential and promote global workforce equity. We request your support to make essential training materials freely available. Together, we can create a brighter, more inclusive future for all, regardless of location or financial background.

Thank you for your consideration.
Sincerely,
Upwork Profile: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/graphicsandvideoexpert

ayfar khan
8 REPLIES 8
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

There's plenty of free online training available, as well as hundreds of educational charities and local training initiatives. Maybe try using Google? Upwork is not a website that provides training; it's a website for clients to connect with freelancers who are already supposed to be skilled.

Dear Community Member,

The principle of learning and conducting business is founded upon the concept that training should be imparted by the same company whose products or services one intends to utilize. However, it is essential to question whether this approach provides accurate and reliable information. Can we truly trust information obtained solely from another freelancer who has already traversed their freelancing journey on the platform?

In my perspective, this reliance on freelancers to be the primary educators on the platform is inadequate. Upwork, as a platform that brings together clients and freelancers, should take on a more active role in providing comprehensive and structured training. This training should include online courses, interviews, and skills assessments. By doing so, it would contribute to maintaining the integrity of our community by reducing the prevalence of fake profiles and fraudulent activities.

Moreover, it's important to acknowledge that many deserving candidates are deterred from joining this platform due to the lack of accessible knowledge on how to effectively navigate and succeed within this environment. This lack of guidance perpetuates an unjust situation, as these individuals are denied equal opportunities for professional growth and success.

In conclusion, a more proactive approach to training and education on the Upwork platform is not only essential for maintaining the platform's integrity but also for fostering a more inclusive and equitable community where all individuals have the chance to thrive and contribute to our collective success.

Sincerely,

Ayfar Khan

ayfar khan

Ayfar K wrote:

Upwork, as a platform that brings together clients and freelancers, should take on a more active role in providing comprehensive and structured training. This training should include online courses, interviews, and skills assessments.

Why should Upwork do this? They have at least 100 times more freelancers than they need, so what benefit would there be in training unskilled people, if there aren't enough jobs for the skilled freelancers that they already have? It would cost money while contributing nothing to their profits. 

Ayfar K wrote:

Moreover, it's important to acknowledge that many deserving candidates are deterred from joining this platform due to the lack of accessible knowledge on how to effectively navigate and succeed within this environment. This lack of guidance perpetuates an unjust situation, as these individuals are denied equal opportunities for professional growth and success.

I guess you haven't noticed that there's already an Upwork Academy that provides all information needed to use this website? Click on the link at the top of this page. 

Ayfar K wrote:

Dear Community Member,

Can we truly trust information obtained solely from another freelancer who has already traversed their freelancing journey on the platform?

I "traversed" my "freelancing journey" without any assistance or training from Upwork - and I can communicate without using AI - so maybe I know what I'm talking about?

Freelancing means being responsible for everything, including having marketable skills. If you don't have marketable skills, you will fail. I don't make up the rules of life, but I recognize them. Nothing unjust about it. No matter where you are in the world, there are ways to learn. Plenty of people have lifted themselves out of dire poverty through their efforts. If you want to be trained, educate yourself. Upwork is not responsible for training anyone on how to freelance. Upwork has numerous resources on how to use the platform.

It seems like you have a deep misunderstanding of what Upwork is. The only services Upwork provides freelancers is a way to make contact with clients, a streamlined contracting process and some purported payment protection. Upwork provides plenty of materials to teach you how to use their tools. 

What you are suggesting is akin to saying that a law practice management platform provider should not only teach prospects to use the platform, but also how to practice law.

click_it_genious
Community Member

Here are answers of what you asked. 

Why should Upwork do this? They have at least 100 times more freelancers than they need, so what benefit would there be in training unskilled people, if there aren't enough jobs for the skilled freelancers that they already have? It would cost money while contributing nothing to their profits. 

Here are some reasons Upwork might consider training unskilled people despite having a large pool of freelancers:

1. Market Expansion: Upwork may be looking to expand its market by attracting new businesses and clients. By offering training to unskilled individuals, they can tap into a potentially untapped segment of the market and grow their client base. This could ultimately lead to more job opportunities for skilled freelancers as the platform expands.

2. Diversification: Training unskilled individuals can diversify the types of services available on the platform. This diversification can attract a wider range of clients who may need services that aren't currently well-represented on Upwork.

3. Quality Improvement: By investing in training programs for freelancers, Upwork can aim to improve the overall quality of work on the platform. This can enhance the reputation of the platform and attract more discerning clients, potentially leading to higher-quality jobs.

4. Future-Proofing: The skills and demands in the job market are constantly evolving. By investing in training for freelancers, Upwork can ensure that its talent pool remains adaptable and relevant to changing market needs.

5. Corporate Social Responsibility: Companies often engage in social responsibility initiatives to give back to the community and help those in need. Offering training to unskilled individuals can be seen as a way of fulfilling such corporate responsibilities.

6. Talent Acquisition: Training programs can also serve as a way for Upwork to identify and attract hidden talent. Some unskilled individuals may have untapped potential and, with training, could become highly skilled freelancers in the future.

7. Competitive Advantage: By offering training and development opportunities, Upwork can stand out from its competitors, attracting freelancers who value such support and investment in their professional growth.

I guess you haven't noticed that there's already an Upwork Academy that provides all information needed to use this website? Click on the link at the top of this page. 

Yes I know it but unfortunately new freelancer find it hard to explorer this GIANT WEBSITE.So they dont know.

I "traversed" my "freelancing journey" without any assistance or training from Upwork - and I can communicate without using AI - so maybe I know what I'm talking about?

When considering the role of those who are already immersed in the learning process through active project engagement on your platform, it becomes imperative to assess how they can effectively impart their knowledge to the aspiring freelancers entering the domain. As a fellow freelancer, I am acutely aware of the fact that the journey of every individual in the freelancing realm is unique, a distinction that is often shaped by the diverse platforms they choose to operate within. It is entirely plausible that the lessons I have acquired may not correspond entirely with the experiences derived from engaging in projects with clients.

Freelancing, by its very nature, necessitates a personal and hands-on exploration of the field. This essence is succinctly encapsulated by the term "Self-Employed," which underscores the self-driven and experiential nature of this pursuit. Consequently, when individuals who have already embarked on their path as self-employed professionals endeavor to mentor and guide others, their guidance inevitably stems from their own lived experiences, rather than offering a comprehensive blueprint for success.

ayfar khan

It is not at all difficult to click the "Academy" link at the top of this page. Nothing to traverse.

tlsanders
Community Member

Virtually every field on Upwork has many, many, many more freelancers than can possibly find work here,  meaning that many rarely if ever find work. Increasing those numbers would not help the platform, clients, existing freelancers or even those wishing to train, since it would mean that instead of 100 or 200 freelancers for every job posted there would be 500 or 1000. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members