cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin Assistant Scam

danielle_jupiter
Danielle J Member Since: Jun 25, 2020
1 of 8

I recently recieved notice to accept a proposal for an Admin Assistant gig but the description was very vague. I was then contacted by a man name**Edited for community guidelines**an architect that works for Handy Architect through UpWork to discuss more about the position via text. I gave my phone number and tried to do a number looking for where it was coming from which was Nebraska. We did the whole run down and I even signed a contract (not my real signature). I did my first task wasn't hard just creating a spreadsheet for price comparisons of architect tools. He didn't speak perfect English when he texted either. Anyways, he asked how much debt I had on a credit card and I stated how much I had and he offered to pay off the balance and gave me a account number and checking number. I figured that was sketchy hence why I am posting here. What do you guys think?

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
2 of 8

Accepting payment outside of Upwork is against the TOS. Do you have  an actual contract with this person on Upwork?  Lots o f TOS violations here, you need to read up on what you signed up for. 

ETA: having two profiles is also against TOS. 

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
3 of 8

Hi Danielle,

Could you please send me a PM with more information about this so I can check with the team? You can also report to us if you see a job or invitation that looks suspicious or inappropriate using the flagging option found on every job post or Upwork profile. This sends a notification directly to Upwork, allowing us to investigate and take the appropriate actions. You can read more on this help article and also, please check out Tips to avoid questionable jobs. Thank you!

-Joanne
Untitled
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

Danielle: those people are not real clients. They are scammers who are trying to steal your money.

loannvo
LoAnn V Member Since: Apr 12, 2021
5 of 8
Hi I am in contact with the very same exact person. So glad I found this. Reporting him now.
wrolon
Willanie R Member Since: May 5, 2021
6 of 8

hey i think the same person just reached out to me, im curious in your experience with him

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
7 of 8

Hi Willanie,

Taking communications with a client off of Upwork before a contract is in place is against our Terms of Service. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use the Report Suspicious User Activity feature. 

Please check this help article for crucial information that will help you have a safe and successful journey on Upwork.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Untitled
loannvo
LoAnn V Member Since: Apr 12, 2021
8 of 8

He said he his company was a construction company called **Edited for Community Guidelines**.
He would say that he would pay me directly instead of through upwork. Even
wrote up a “contract” to have me sign it. Offered to try it out for a month
and if we work well together he would hire me long term.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS