taish0

Advanced search - > skills search not working as expected

I receive way too many irrelevant results, even using my refined keyword search.

I think that in the end, the only satisfying solution will be to use Upwork API, but it will take me a while to set it up.

For now I wanted to try skills search. As far as I noticed, some projects don't have any skill tag, so unfortunately I'll miss these, but I would use skills search only when I am not in desperate need of getting a project quickly and would browse only the ones, which with a very high probability will interest me.

Unfortunately I tried selecting a couple of my skills and no results were returned. The final search query was:

skills:(microsoft-excel,excel-vba,microsoft-word,vba,visual-basic,data-scraping,web-scraping)

For me it looks like the query tries to find projects tagged with all these skills. Is there any solution to this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ryzard,

Could you please try if this search works for you? Be careful grouping keywords in your search, ((mircosoft-excel) OR (excel-vba)) AND (microsoft-access) for example.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ryzard,

Could you please try if this search works for you? Be careful grouping keywords in your search, ((mircosoft-excel) OR (excel-vba)) AND (microsoft-access) for example.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I'm so thankful Valeria, You saved me so much time, now that I can use better filters!

The problem was: Upwork's advanced filter by skills is bugged and selecting multiple skills there, generates invalid search query, which uses comma delimiter instead of "OR". Hopefully this gets fixed to avoid confusion.

I have refined Your query, so that all skills are between parentheses, this is example query:

skills:(visual-basic OR excel-vba OR vba)

If I used:

skills:(visual-basic) OR excel-vba OR vba

only the first one would be searched within skills, the remaining 2 would be searched in job titles, descriptions, skills - basically everywhere. Perhaps I will do some combination of skill search and normal search.

Best Regards

This conversation is extremely helpful, as I have had many problems trying to search on multiple skill tags. Thanks for posting!