cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed

Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
1 of 2
Hello all! I am new to this site. I just graduated from college and I am actively looking for jobs in my profession which is Nutrition and Food Science with Food Management. I am looking to edit or rewrite recipes since that is my forte. I love cooking and creating new dishes, experimenting with all different varieties of spices and ingredients A friend told me that I should get into freelancing to make a few bucks while I am actively searching for jobs and to add something a little extra to my resume. My problem is, I just signed up to this site yesterday and I am only entry level. I don't have a portfolio that I can upload to oDesk. I know that I can edit recipes and convert the measurements. I had two classes of that in college and also all my classes wanted us to create our own recipes for a lot of our projects. What advice could you give me so that I can start getting the ball rolling here? You can take a look at my profile and let me know if I should change a few things, etc. Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 2
Hi Francine, Welcome. So you definitely don't have any pieces of work from college that you can upload? Do you have any published work on-line which you can display in your portfolio? If not, it would be worthwhile creating some documents in your own time and then uploading these to your portfolio, so clients can at least get an idea about your capabilities. Some of the pieces in my portfolio were not always work which I completed for clients, some of them I did in my own time. Elaborate a little more about your employment history and education, so even if you don't have a full portfolio yet clients can still get an idea about what you've been doing. Take some tests which relate to your field of expertise and try to get some high scores on those. As you complete more tests, your job application quota will increase and you'll have more applications to use. In the title underneath your name at the top, delete 'Freelancer' and be more specific about your job title i.e. Writer etc. We're all freelancers here, so that title won't mean much to a client if they come across your profile using the search function. When they search for freelancers, they don't see your full profile immediately, but just see your name, your job title etc. You want to stand out from other freelancers. You can write a more detailed overview if you can think of anything more. This is a good place to start. All the best. Gill
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS