🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Advice for Newbie: First Contract
Page options
Community Member

Advice for Newbie: First Contract

Hi, 

Im new to upwork, my client will hire me as a freelance recruiter. So far Im good to go, Im ok with the terms and condition and my role & responsibilities for the project however I don't know when to start. Client will pay me base on the project milestone, How would I know when to start? What would be my assurance to get paid per project milestone? How would I know if contract is already in place and for fulfillment? 

I hope you can help me on this matter. Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Karen, 

On Upwork, we always recommend for freelancers not to start working unless the client sent an offer to the freelancer, the freelancer accepted the offer, the contract is showing as an active contract on the freelancer's My Jobs page, and the client's payment method is verified. These are minimum requirements for a freelancer to be eligible for Payment Protection.

You can start working once you have a contract set up, your client's payment method is verified. For future milestones of this project, make sure that the milestones are funded before you start working on the next milestone/s. 

You may also want to read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Community Member

Hi Avery, 

Thanks for your help. One last question how would I know if client already deposit fund to escrow, will I get any notification? Thank you. 

Hi Karen,

Once you`re hired on an official contract it will be listed under your section "My Jobs". Once you access your contract you will be able to view how much the client has deposited in Escrow and what is the budget of your funded milestone. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths