🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Advice on (avoiding) dealing with a past cust...
Page options
jane_editor
Community Member

Advice on (avoiding) dealing with a past customer

I have a client for whom I did a job a couple of weeks ago. After I had delivered on the project, which I did to the best of my ability and felt I had done a good job, I received some less than complimentary comments from the client and he requested a refund. I ignored the refund request, and after some discussion with the wise people here, I ended up closing the job (it was hourly, all covered under Upwork's Hourly Protection). A few days later, I received an apology from the client for his comments and he admitted I had clearly put in a lot of work. He asked if I would do another job for him later, and in the interests of good client/freelancer relations, I responded that I would consider it. 

Fast forward to today, and the client has approached me for more work, which mostly seems to be some rework and his tone is aggressive and dismissive. I am not interested in doing any more work for this client, especially given the tone in which he has started this conversation. No feedback has as yet been left on the job by the client and I am not sure that the client even realizes that the existing job is closed.

If I were to simply ignore this (ex) client, would this have a negative impact on my JSS? I will not work for him again and the job I had with him has been closed for nearly a week and a half.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

If he hasn't left feedback for you, string him out until the 14-day window for him to provide feedback is closed.

He's clearly a manipulative person who does what he think is necessary - cajol, threaten, demand, etc. - to get what he wants when he wants it..

Good luck!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Just block him.

There will be no impact to your JSS if you block him.

Or, do the adult thing and politely say that you're not available, instead of blocking them. (Besides, if you block them, they might think that there's some sort of technical problem and continue trying to get in touch with you.)
wlyonsatl
Community Member

If he hasn't left feedback for you, string him out until the 14-day window for him to provide feedback is closed.

He's clearly a manipulative person who does what he think is necessary - cajol, threaten, demand, etc. - to get what he wants when he wants it..

Good luck!

jane_editor
Community Member

Thank you all for your advice. I wasn't going to block the client yet, not at least until the 14-day feedback window has passed (three days from now). I am afraid to just say "no" until then because that might encourage him to leave a nasty review if I refuse to do more work for him at this point.

My thoughts were to try to hold off/ignore him for the next few days, then once the deadline has passed, tell him that I am not available for any further work with him, then block him.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members