🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Advice on recent job invitation
Page options
mullanzoe
Community Member

Advice on recent job invitation

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on a recent job invitation I received. It was asking for someone to act as a 'local director' for a local reseller company for $500 per year. Basically it seems to involve me providing them with valid ID and sending a copy of a utility bill etc every 3 months as proof of address. Apart from that, there's no real 'work' attached to the role. I had a brief chat with the client and it seems to be a fairly large beauty company with an international presence. They are an Upwork Plus client with almost 300 reviews, most of which are good. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here has come across anything similar on here? Should I go ahead with the project or avoid it like the plague? Any advice would be welcome.

4 REPLIES 4
moonraker
Community Member

petra_r
Community Member

Zoe M wrote:

Apart from that, there's no real 'work' attached to the role. 

Apart from that, there is also no "job" attached to that, purely identity theft. They'll use those details to verify their (or rather your) ID periodically somewhere, for heaven knows what, and put you at potentially massive and life-altering risk.

Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, I think you're right, it all sounds really suspicious. My first reaction was to completely ignore it and then the fact that they were listed as an Upwork Plus client with good overall feedback distracted me and made me think it could be something legitimate. I'll report it.

Zoe M wrote:

My first reaction was to completely ignore it and then the fact that they were listed as an Upwork Plus client with good overall feedback .

Upwork Plus means little. Lots of new clients or clients Upwork wants to encourage get it free. Also, the ability to pay a tiny sum a month does not mean a client is reliable. They could be running a huge business "hiring" people whose identities they use for nefarious purposes. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members