Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice with Non Responding Client

Highlighted
Razvan-Aurelian P Member Since: Jun 29, 2015
1 of 4

Hello,

I am writing to ask for some advice in regards to one situation in which I have been recently put.

I have started a contract with a new client for about a week ago and everything looked well at the beginning: it was a job that I applied to and I was offered directly an offer, personalized with text. The client has plenty of 5 star feedback so there was no worry at that point. I accepted the offer stating that I am delighted to start the project and asking when to expect to start. The client at that point said that he will have a folder with all the files prepared so that I can start.

Since that moment he did not get back to me and I have been waiting for his guidnace in order to start the project. This is an hourly job. The reason due to which I am writing is to ask for your advice on how it is best to treat this situation going forward. I have already contacted the client 3 times through the internal messaging system and had no luck. I would not like this entire situation to affect my account badly.

Thank you in advance for all your help on this matter!

Kind regards,

Razvan

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 4

Razvan,

You are worrying too much about this project.

This is an hourly project. There is no deadline. There is no set amount of work you need to do in order for this to be considered a successful contract.

The client is not unintelligent. He knows whether or not he has provided you with the materials he needs. He may simply be behind and be a little embarrassed that he has not provided what you need yet.

Make sure you bill 10 at least minutes, setting up your development environment, reviewing your notes from your discussions, setting up the framework for what your client needs. (You have probably spent a lot more time than 10 minutes getting to this point, if you consider all the discussions you have had with the client.)

Once you have billed at least 10 minutes, then the client will be quite aware that you are able to log time which will be billed to him. And you will also prevent any possible problems for your Job Success Score that might stem from a contract closing with no time billed.

Don't contact the client any more times. He'll get back with you when he can. If he never gets back with you, and you really have nothing you can work on, then you could probably just wait a couple months and then close the contract. If you haven't had a pattern of closing contracts yourself, then a few won't hurt your Job Success Score.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 4

How long are we talking about here? A week? A month? A few days? Just move on to other projects if it's been a short amount of time. If it's been like a month and he went MIA, I'd send a note to ask if he still wants to move forward, If not, then just close the contract. Actually, I'd probably just leave it open for a few months before closing it, but supposedly that affects JSS. So you have to decide what you want to do there.

Highlighted
Razvan-Aurelian P Member Since: Jun 29, 2015
4 of 4

Hi Preston, Jennifer,

Thank you very much for the valuable information! I will take the suggested approach of logging 10 minutes while studying the job itself, I think this is a very fair and reasonable thing to do.

Kind regards,

Razvan

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS