🐈
» Forums » Support » Affidavit of Unchanged Status for the W-8BEN ...
Page options
vijikinhal
Community Member

Affidavit of Unchanged Status for the W-8BEN form

My tax residence has changed this year from August. The "Affidavit of Unchanged Status" for the W-8BEN form wants a declaration that my tax details hold true from the 1st of Jan 2022.  What should I do in these circumstances? How do I complete the W-8BEN? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks. Vijayalaxmi

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dr. Vijayalaxmi, 

I will ask a member of the Upwork Support team to reach out to you to assist you further with your account concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
df602768
Community Member

You should add the tax number of the country you're living for six months + 1 day.

Hi Konstantinos, Thanks for your kind response. That is the usual understanding, but the matter seems to be more complicated. I have received other advice, which I will am following.  Kind regards, Vijayalaxmi

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dr. Vijayalaxmi, 

I will ask a member of the Upwork Support team to reach out to you to assist you further with your account concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks for assist Avery.

Please also ask for me, I have no idea about who should sign their

Hello, I also need help with this as I have moved in the time since I started on Upwork. Can I have some assistance please?

Hello Avery,

I am having the same problem. I moved from Spain to France in 2023. Therefore, my tax information has changed.

How can I proceed? 

Thank you for your time,

Jorge

Hi Jorge,

I’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Nikola
Upwork
795c0b66
Community Member

Hi! I've moved to another country, and now I've got the exact same problem. Please I need an assistance too. I  cannot agree with the statement:

the information and certifications contained therein have remained the same and have remained unchanged throughout calendar year January 1, 2022 through the date on this form and were true, correct and complete for this year.

What should I do?

e71b8074
Community Member

Hi, same problem. I changed citys in the same country in 2023 and can't confirm the "Affidavit of Unchanged Status" for the W-8BEN. Can you help?

Thanks!

Hi Maria Katharina,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
ruchirsachdev
Community Member

Hi @Avery can you also ask someone from Upwork to get in touch with me as well.

I think I have a similar issue as above. 

Hi Ruchir,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hello

im having the same issue 

my tax residence has changed and I can't proceed.

Hi Fon,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
nastassiabuch
Community Member

Hello,
I am having the same issue. My tax residence has been changed during the year 2022, and I have to sign an Affidavit of Unchanged Status for the W-8BEN form. Could you please provide some assistance with this matter?

Hi Nastassia,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you here with further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
dc3e8122
Community Member

Hi Arjay,

I'm facing the same issue. Could you please provide some assistance? Thanks.

Hi Nisarg,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
8d0691dc
Community Member

Hello, it seems many people are having similar issues with this, it would be nice to have a solution here in the forums.

Similar to othesr I am unsure how to handle the "Affidavit of unchanged status" since my business has only been incorporated for a month, does not go back to 2022. Can someone please assit? Thank you! - Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to learn you're also having trouble with this. I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Chris,

Can you share what was your solution for this ? I also am in the same situation as yours and I am unsure about the next steps here.

Thank you !

ivaniuk_svetlana
Community Member

Hello!

I have the same issue with "Affidavit of unchanged status". I recently moved (in 2023) from the US to the Netherlands and trying to update my tax information, but can't sign "Affidavit of unchanged status" because of this "remained unchanged throughout calendar year January 1, 2022" line. 

Hi Svetlana,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
e5dd8ccb
Community Member

Hello! I've got the exact same problem here and I need an assistance too: I moved to another country in March of 2022 and cannot agree with the statement:

the information and certifications contained therein have remained the same and have remained unchanged throughout calendar year January 1, 2022 through the date on this form and were true, correct and complete for this year.

It would also be very much helpful if you have this problem described at least somewhere (FAQ or Forum), because clearly people has this question raising over and over again.

Hi Andrei,

We’ve escalated your community post to a support ticket. One of our agents will be in touch with you soon to assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

Hello! Also stuck here. Have changed residence since January 1 2022, so can't sign the 'affidavit of unchanged status'. Not sure how to move forward with this.

Hi Jameson,

~ Luiggi
Upwork
8de9a945
Community Member

Hello LuiggiR!
I have an identical issue and need help too. I have changed my tax residence twice between 2022 and 2023 and therefore cannot sign the 'affidavit of unchanged status' form.

8de9a945
Community Member

Hi! I have got the exact same issue and I would like some help too: I have changed my tax residence twice between 2022 and 2023 and so the following statement does not seem to apply to me:

Thank you in advance!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths