cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afraid to Apply? Afraid to Accept? I Am

Ace Contributor
Maria C Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
11 of 43
I am very confident of my translation and writing skills, but this system has made me second guess everything, I have turned down interviews and even offers that before I could had accepted, and now every time I accept to work with a new client I wonder whether this will be the one that will damage my score.

Fear is the key word, and when you are afraid of something, the primary human reaction is to freeze. It will affect productivity, without a doubt. i wonder whether oDesk took that into consideration when they rolled out the "Job Success Score".

Just my two cents.
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
12 of 43

I agree JS score is a problem, and then you get unfair situations like this one

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Ending-Contracts-Shouldn-t-Affect-Job-Success-Score/m-p/78...

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
13 of 43

@Natasha R wrote:

I agree JS score is a problem, and then you get unfair situations like this one

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Ending-Contracts-Shouldn-t-Affect-Job-Success-Score/m-p/78...

Yes, that as well. I ended one contract where no work was done, no money was billed, no money paid or refunded. Because it was never executed neither the client nor I could leave feedback. Quite rightly so, because there was no performance to be measured on either side. 

I guess that caused my JS to drop - I cannot think of anything else. It doesn't make any sense to be punished for work I didn't even do. If I didn't do the job - how can my profile reflect that I did a bad job?

Community Guru
14 of 43

I ended one contract where no work was done, no money was billed, no money paid or refunded. Because it was never executed neither the client nor I could leave feedback.

Maybe it has to do with the private feedback you got, which I also find unfair, why feedback from someone we never worked for?

Community Guru
15 of 43

@Natasha R wrote:

I ended one contract where no work was done, no money was billed, no money paid or refunded. Because it was never executed neither the client nor I could leave feedback.

Maybe it has to do with the private feedback you got, which I also find unfair, why feedback from someone we never worked for?

If they can't leave public feedback - why would they be able to leave private feedback? And how could that have such an impact on my JS? If - like you said - I never even worked for them.

This is really frustrating.... 

Community Guru
16 of 43

If they can't leave public feedback - why would they be able to leave private feedback?

When ending a contract it’s not even optional, it does not matter if the freelancer refunded or never got to work on the contract at all, clients still get this http://screencast.com/t/ZM3nHMG5WNe and it affects JS.

Community Guru
17 of 43

@Natasha R wrote:

If they can't leave public feedback - why would they be able to leave private feedback?

When ending a contract it’s not even optional, it does not matter if the freelancer refunded or never got to work on the contract at all, clients still get this http://screencast.com/t/ZM3nHMG5WNe and it affects JS.

Natasha, thanks so much for sharing this! So, even if I end the contract they are being asked as well why the contract ended? That's interesting. So, if my stats still say that 100% or my clients would recommend me - and that job is counted in my jobs total on my profile - doesn't that mean they didn't leave negative private feedback? 

I am getting more confused every minute.

Community Guru
18 of 43

Q: If I am never paid for a job or if I provide a full refund, does the contract count towards my Job Success Score?

Yes, every job that you start counts towards your score. Make sure you understand the client's needs before you accept an offer, and communicate frequently to make sure the contract ends successfully.

https://support.odesk.com/entries/23103173-How-do-I-improve-my-Job-Success-Score-

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
19 of 43

@Natasha R wrote:

Q: If I am never paid for a job or if I provide a full refund, does the contract count towards my Job Success Score?

Yes, every job that you start counts towards your score. Make sure you understand the client's needs before you accept an offer, and communicate frequently to make sure the contract ends successfully.

https://support.odesk.com/entries/23103173-How-do-I-improve-my-Job-Success-Score-

Q: Some clients are unreasonable. Will bad feedback from them affect me?

Your client’s record is taken into consideration when weighing their interactions in your score. We know that not every contract will end perfectly, and your Job Success Score won’t be ruined by just one or two negative contract outcomes. However, it’s important to do your best on each contract and try to satisfy your client. How you handle yourself overall, and especially moving forward, is more important than any single bad mark on your history. Showing improvement over time will allow you to overcome almost any negative incident.

Community Guru
20 of 43

@Suzanne N wrote:

We know that not every contract will end perfectly, and your Job Success Score won’t be ruined by just one or two negative contract outcomes. However, it’s important to do your best on each contract and try to satisfy your client. How you handle yourself overall, and especially moving forward, is more important than any single bad mark on your history. Showing improvement over time will allow you to overcome almost any negative incident.

Hm, the word "overcome" seems to indicate that you need to overcome the negative feedback that has in fact impacted your JS score. Otherwise the word doesn't make much sense. Also, "improvement over time" implies that you have to reason to work on increasing your JS score (again).

So yes, it does affect the JS score in a negative way. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS