Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afraid to Apply? Afraid to Accept? I Am

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
21 of 43

@Natasha R wrote:

Q: If I am never paid for a job or if I provide a full refund, does the contract count towards my Job Success Score?

Yes, every job that you start counts towards your score. Make sure you understand the client's needs before you accept an offer, and communicate frequently to make sure the contract ends successfully.

https://support.odesk.com/entries/23103173-How-do-I-improve-my-Job-Success-Score-

Thanks again for explaining things. Like I said, 100% of my clients would recommend me, so I am not sure that is the reason. It realls seems to be a mystery. 

I did communicate with the client and that's when it became clear it wasn't working out. And the he went MIA.

Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
22 of 43

Ela,

I think you should submit a ticket, and ask them why your JS dropped from 100% to 89%.

Community Guru
23 of 43

@Natasha R wrote:

Ela,

I think you should submit a ticket, and ask them why your JS dropped from 100% to 89%.

I already did. Got a cookie cutter generic reply after ten minutes. Basically reciting oDesk policy. And then the agent closed my ticket because he considered the issue resolved. I opened it again - but no futher response.

Community Guru
24 of 43

Who ended the contract, you or the client?

Community Guru
25 of 43

@Natasha R wrote:

Who ended the contract, you or the client?

I did. Because the client was - let's say - complicated; I knew that the contract wouldn't work out when he started questioning my professionalism etc. I told him that I didn't think that that was a good foundation for the kind of work I was supposed to conduct (consulting) and suggested we end the contract. He never replied. So I ended it.

You know, I am a fully qualified lawyer and I do communicate with clients in a reasonable, professional and objective manner. I was trained to do that.

Community Guru
26 of 43

I did. Because the client was - let's say - complicated; I knew that the contract wouldn't work out when he started questioning my professionalism etc. I told him that I didn't think that that was a good foundation for the kind of work I was supposed to conduct (consulting) and suggested we end the contract. He never replied. So I ended it.

You know, I am a fully qualified lawyer and I do communicate with clients in a reasonable, professional and objective manner. I was trained to do that.

I understand, and I have canceled contracts too, it’s not affecting my JS because it was more than 2 years ago. From everything that I have read, ending contracts can affect your JS.

This JS is just so unfair Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
27 of 43

@Natasha R wrote:

I agree JS score is a problem, and then you get unfair situations like this one

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Ending-Contracts-Shouldn-t-Affect-Job-Success-Score/m-p/78...

Natasha,

Garnor posted in that thread that unless there are a lot of jobs closed that it doesn't affect the JS.

Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013
28 of 43

I am thinking to dont even apply to any job post because of wasting of connects Smiley Very Happy

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
29 of 43

Yes it's a problem. I ended up with 46 Connects leftover last month out of 70 

There were so many more I could have applied to but didn't.

Ace Contributor
Donna M Member Since: Aug 28, 2012
30 of 43

Well I'll join the club here I just went from 100% to 94% Job Success yet nothing’s really changed I have been on oDesk almost 3 years and have 2600 hours and rising

I have been unhappy with job success why:

1. Going back 2 years to get data - first of all it’s not fair as things were different 2 years ago closing a contract and even refunding a client wasn’t a problem but now theses same things that were OK then with oDesk are now penalizing the freelancer.. This is highly unfair how can oDesk justify penalizing someone now for something that was not only just OK but even encouraged then.

2. Clients not leaving feedback or closing contracts - This is my fault?? I should not be held responsible for what the clients don't do on their end. What’s even worse is that even if the client leaves a 5 star feedback with a glowing review and doesn’t close the contract instead of it being counted as a positive or even natural by oDesk it instead counts as a negative against the freelancer. also again what happened 1 and 2 years ago counts against you even though it wasn’t a problem then.

3. Having to answer invites in 24 hours this I am totally against as oDesk is forcing freelances to log in everyday without being paid. I primarily work Monday through Friday but If don't answer a client request in 24 hours my score goes down. I have had invites that I perhaps would have taken but because I was working on other job and sleeping and had very little time left  to declined or accept so since time was short and I didn’t have the time to properly research the client I simply declined because of oDesk 24 hour rule (24 hours to reply or score goes down) I am not going accept a job invite blindly because of being pushed by a ridiculous standard that oDesk has set in their algorithm

4. Long term clients I mostly work long term I started with a 50% score on long term it’s now 38%. Early this year I took some jobs that were supposed to be long term they didn't come out that way the clients left me glowing reviews but they simply could not continue due to problems on their end so again that’s my fault??

Also I have a 2 clients that are on pause by oDesk because I haven’t worked them in a few weeks the jobs are not over I haven’t worked on them at the clients request while he updates his website and the other because she is away on family business counting this in my score is wrong as oDesk does not know what is actually happening between me and the client. So why is this even a consideration in job success score oh because I’m not working it and making money for oDesk I guess the almost $100 per week that you get from me now is not enough??

P.S. Also oDesk you should know by now that Freelancing is usually not long term???? It's not a Traditional 9 to 5 Job if that’s what you want then become a job agency not a freelance platform

There are other parts to the job success algorithm that have been mentioned as well plus the fact a lot of the job success metric is blind. Freelancers have complained over and over again that they truly do not know what the job success metric consists of which again is wrong they should know all of it if they are being judged by it they should know what all of it consists of

Personally I think the job success score is a big mistake it's caused so much stress for the freelancers so much so that many are afraid to apply for jobs myself included I am much more discerning, jobs that I would have taken a chance at in the past I will not touch now.

With the new job success score I feel it’s only a matter of time until most freelances will be below 100% job success with the impossible standards that oDesk has applied. Quite frankly I have been monitored less by standard jobs and am actually angry that I am paying oDesk 10% of my earning for them to treat me this way.

Personally the way oDesk is going I am finding that going back to a traditional job may be a better bet as I will be monitored less and, won’t have to pay a 10 % of my salary to them and will reap the benefits of things like unemployment insurance, paid sick days and paid vacation that odesk does not provide.

In the meantime I have decided that I will continue with the clients I have here on oDesk until those contracts end but will not take on any new clients on oDesk and will pursue other platforms for freelancing while I look for a traditional job

The job success score and connects, all the changes that oDesk has done recently has in my opinion only produced stress and alienated both freelancers and clients alike. It’s not better

P.S. I did try to set my profile to not available for New Work and I am forced to put a date......how about putting a reason date is not sufficient it shouldn't matter when I will available again Odesk you don't own me!!!  Plus it makes no sense as I have clients now that take all of my time when will I be ready I don't know however long my clients and I continue the relationship. This plus the JS score is the reason I am not taking new clients

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS