cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 1 year on Odesk/Upwork I have some suggestions.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
1 of 15

After one year and close to 100 different clients, I find Upwork a leap of faith.

The problem is i dont know who the heck is posting a job. All we have is a star system with some reviews and nothing for a new client job.

I cross my fingers and open my mind and hope for the best. 99% of the time clients are great, sometimes its a mind boggling grind to complete a job that should take an afternoon if you worked in the same office.

Suggestions:

#1. What country is the job from!!!!!! Sorry I am not going to work with some countries, waste of connects and low pay. Its the truth. 

#2. Who is the person or company? At least a first name. Why not put the company? Why is this so secret?

#3. The is radical and crazy but here goes. WHAT JOB TITLE DOES THE PERSON HAVE WHO IS HIRING YOU?

Think that is a good idea? I do.

In the graphic design world dealing with the housewife or little league coach is a waste of time and money. 

Bottomline hiring a designer, photographer, website guru or writer is no easy task. I would prefer to work with a person who has an idea of what they want.

When the client interviews us we bare our souls. Why cant that be a two way street?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
2 of 15

With regards to #1, when I click on a job it tells me on the right hand side under "About the Client" where they are from.  I am new to this platform so perhaps I am missing something.  Are you referring to something different?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 15

@Scott

that info only appears after the client's been on a while. They can post a job straight after signing up with no verfied payment method. This is quite common:

Imagex.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 15

Thanks for the info, Stephen.  I notice I am seeing location even when they have no payment method, but perhaps they've been on a while. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Meg E. T Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
5 of 15

@ Scott,

Having myself been on Elance, there I could see country and other information in the list view of all jobs. The problem with the display on Upwork is we have to click on a job--which can be slow--and search out that info, thus wasting time. The search interface on Elance was better for finding appropriate jobs.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
6 of 15

@Stephen R wrote:

In the graphic design world dealing with the housewife or little league coach is a waste of time and money. 

As a designer, I can't support you on that statement. If they are willing to pay your skills, your job is to help them with design.

Regular people are in need for us too and you be surprised how grateful can a housewife be if you fix her up with the label design for her etsy shop. I can say you that there are managers that are trying to obsessivly monitor our work, banalizing our skills with sayings like:  "Anyone can design if they are willing to read 500 pages fat book. " They also are the one that are saying that next time they are going to install themselves Indesign, cause they see how how fast we work and all seems a breeze to them. You can find clients that are waste of time & money all around the vast spectrum that need our skills.

Our job is sometimes to make a design that could end up as photocopied flyer. Our goal is to make (even so cheap) execution look good and spread  desired message. I urge you to be creative and charge accordingly and not to portray us as some snobs. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 15

I am not a snob. I am a professional.

I understand you want to give 100% to all clients and i agree.

My point is we have no idea who a large precentage of these clients are.

Show me the country, the company (if there is one), and what the client does (owner, art director or rental car employee.)

Connect cost money, why should i waste them? Its like gambling.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 15

That little housewife with the tiny job design could end up referring a lot of good clients to you. Very narrow minded of you to think that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 15

Funny.

Focus in on a sentance that makes you uncomfortable. I guess you dont see the point of the post.

I could have said the founder of facebook I guess.

I just want what other freelancer sites offered and more. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
10 of 15

Stephen, I see your point, your issues are way more lesser issues than lack of mechanisms that are protecting a freelancer.  

I took one sentence that actually said more about you, but it was stylised like it is en général designing branch truth.  Talking about truth of our industry here is a big one:

Our prices dropped, not because of the global economy/marketplace but mainly from the lack of creativity among our peers who done derivative work based on free templates found on internet, cheap generic ideas and other overpriced works designers did for quick cash. 

Sorry for derailing from your kind of valid points, but the are utterly ridiculous matter compared with real issues that freelancer faces here on daily basis (scams, asking for spec work, revisions that are more exercise of power than real revisions, unresponsive clients, bad taste...).  I wish your issues were mine. I have no problem with housewives and murkiness of applying process vanish as the potential client sets an interview and introduce themselves there. 

I hope my english is quite clear, ' cause I learned it from MTV and weird UK sitcoms.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS