cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 15 days of connects, here's my experience.

Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
1 of 24

In my particular field (voice/audio/video), it can be difficult to make a living, but I've done it.  Very much because of oDesk.  However, with the new "connects" system, I'm not doing so well.  Here are some numbers for you to peruse and agree with or dispute.

This year, here's how many jobs I was hired for via oDesk

Jan - 21 jobs
Feb - 20 jobs
Mar - 22 jobs
Apr (so far) - 4 jobs - and I have 5 applications available.

Keep in mind that figures never lie and liars always figure, let's use estimates to speculate. on how this would play out, if I bought more connects.  

It has taken me 50 connects to get 4 jobs. That's 12.5 connects per job. Let's apply that to the past three months.

In Jan, I would have used 262 connects, costing me $202.
In Feb, I would have used 250 connects, costing me $190.
In Mar, I would have used 275 connects, costing me $215.

What's been your experience?  Has anyone seen an improvement?  Am I the only person that is having a horrible month?

Thoughts?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 24

I'm also having a tough time but not sure it's due to the Connects.

I have enjoyed seeing less spammy applications to every job thats posted. But hiring seems to be very slow ... tax time? 

I'm still willing to see how it goes as everyone gets used to the new system.

Community Leader
3 of 24

Unofficially, I don't know about the number of jobs.  First QTRs and the first month of a quarter are generally slow.  However, I know I'm not applying for as many jobs that I could quite confidently complete at a 5 star level.  But, I'm pulling back so I don't find myself with nothing to do on oDesk or Elance for 15 days.  

Interestingly enough, here are my elance numbers from the same period:

Jan - 3

Feb - 0

Mar - 2

Apr - 1

bh

Ace Contributor
Candi H Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
4 of 24

I just popped in here to see if I was the only one experiencing a major downturn in jobs. I rarely apply to jobs and always have plenty of work, but the past 2 weeks it has been ridiculously slow. I have gotten numerous invites every single day for jobs that weren't worth my time declining. I have appliled to 5, which is a high number for me.

1 job was ended with no hires. Another one I withdrew after potential client responded to my application and then fell off the face of the earth. Another job I was hired for and did, but again, client has left the building it appears. And then there are 2 that are still floating out there.

Sadly, there are no jobs I want to even apply for, which is rare. In the past, there were always plenty of jobs I wanted to apply for, but couldn't due to my workload. Now, it is dry, dry, dry. Very odd.

Did connects scare away clients?

Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
5 of 24

Welcome to the club!! Both of you Bob and Jean, its has been a difficult month for me too.

oDesk needs to do something fast or else our income levels will go down fast, we have worked on this platform for years and built a profile here, they said they are adding some new features to the paid memebership plan I hope that those 'new features' will help us more in getting hired.

Thanks

PS: Need more connects so please add a membership plan where we will buy more connects cheap and easy  and add skrill as payment verification method for membership plans !!

Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
6 of 24

Not a single job get since the system gets changed.Just working with old clients.I have nothing to do with connects still have 50 left but dont know where the jobs has gone from my category or the clients left this platform really frustrating.

Ace Contributor
Zubair J Member Since: Apr 6, 2015
7 of 24

All the freelancers are suffering from this system. I have requested oDesk before to do voting for this system so they will understand the majority of the freelancers hate this new system. I think it is better to quite freelancing and start the regular job now because oDesk is really not listning to the majority of the freelancers. 

My experience with the connect system is also very disappointing. I have lost half of my connects and did't got any job. 

I was earning good money before so as oDesk, but now if I am going down oDesk is also going down.

Community Leader
8 of 24

BTW, 3 out of the 15 jobs I've applied for this month have had someone hired.  Great.  Smiley Sad

Community Leader
william b Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
9 of 24

HUGE dive in jobs available (writing) and the connects system is really a bogus bait & switch.

I just upgraded to "Membership Plus" but instead of the 70 connects advertised, I recieved only 40!

When questioned, oDesk "support" replied that the number is negatively prorated (?) until next month...I expected some bumps along the way with the new system but this is just a straight rip-off!

Of course, they didn't have any problem taking full payment.

Really tired of this and I've got some ideas if anyone wants to join.

Maria G Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
10 of 24

Do tell.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS