cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 15 days of connects, here's my experience.

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
11 of 24

Last 15 days I was busy working for clients that hired me before connects. Yes, I applied for new jobs, spent 22 connects. No job. Pushed back far in search results so no invitations either. 

12 of 24

Perfect figure and i think it's time to leave oDesk and start work on mcdonalds because odesk don't want crowd in there company.

Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
13 of 24

Walmart is paying $13 an hour in MIchigan.  That's starting to look awfully appealling right about now.  Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
14 of 24

Quoting Bob:

This year, here's how many jobs I was hired for via oDesk

Jan - 21 jobs
Feb - 20 jobs
Mar - 22 jobs
Apr (so far) - 4 jobs - and I have 5 applications available.

That is not reflected in your portfolio. I see

1 for March and 3 for January and 0 for February.

?????

Community Leader
15 of 24

I will investigate the discrepancy.  I keep a separate spreadsheet.  Smiley Happy

Community Leader
16 of 24

Thanks for checking on things.  Here's a little anaomly I found.  

I ran a CSV report of all of my jobs.  According to the spreadsheet, I have worked at 271 jobs since getting on oDesk in 2009.  However, according to my public profile, I've only worked 227.

Why the difference?  Beats me.  Anyone?

Padma D Member Since: Feb 22, 2015
17 of 24

Thanks for bringing this up Bob!

Connects aren't working for me! I had already exhausted all 60 connects by the 15th of April, and earned only one contract thus far, versus 3 large contracts last month before the connects system. 

My issues:

1. I do not understand why all the jobs I've applied to use 2 connects?!

In essence, I've applied to only 30 jobs! That's of little help when, on average, I need to apply to at least a 100 postings to stand a chance! 

2.  It's a domino effect for me as a freelancer and for oDesk: 

If I apply for fewer jobs, my hire percentage decreases, my monthly income decreases, and it implies a decrease in the oDesk 10% commission. 

It's frustrating when freelancer websites suddenly change their policies and make it a pay-to-play site, ON TOP of commission.  I have loved working on oDesk, because of the convenience it offered in terms of not charging a monthly fee, but taking a commission. I was absolutely happy with paying a commission. It worked great for me! 

But the new system has hit my work really hard! 

Best,

Padma

Community Leader
18 of 24

If oDesk had been this way when I quit my job a year and a half ago to go full time freelancer, I wouldn't have quit my job, that's for sure. 

Maria G Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
19 of 24

After just 2 weeks, oDesk needs to change it up. NOT WORKING FOR ME EITHER!

Ace Contributor
André M Member Since: Feb 4, 2015
20 of 24

Perhaps is not the connects system, but the huge number of freelancers that came in with the effective merge between Elance and Odesk?

Elance was, to my experience, more crowded and with lesser pay grades than oDesk.

Therefore, with the merge, we see more low quality jobas and a lot more freelancers applying, many with low rates, and that make us, former oDeskers, in disadvantage.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS