🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: After closing job connect not refuned
Page options
jannat-sheikh
Community Member

After closing job connect not refuned

I have submitted proposal so many job. But when the job closed my connect not refunded.

Can anyone say me why?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MD,

Thanks for your question. Connects are returned when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MD,

Thanks for your question. Connects are returned when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

MD. JAHANGIR S wrote:

I have submitted proposal so many job. But when the job closed my connect not refunded.

Can anyone say me why?

Because that's the way it is set up. 

colettelewis
Community Member

The only times connects are refunded are when a client closes the job him/herself without hiring, or when Upwork delists the job for violating the ToS. 

Connects are not returned on jobs that are assigned, or simply left open by the client. The latter are eventually archived by Upwork. 

So I went back to my proposals and I think people are confused on what "closed" means. Not sure if it used to say something different (I don't think it did but not sure), but "closed" also means the client hired someone else. The people ranting that jobs are closed I don't think know how to check if someone else was hired. 

IIRC, it used to say "closed" before, but maybe NOW THAT WE PAY FOR CONNECTS people are obsessing over the proposals section.

Jennifer M wrote:

So I went back to my proposals and I think people are confused on what "closed" means. Not sure if it used to say something different (I don't think it did but not sure), but "closed" also means the client hired someone else. The people ranting that jobs are closed I don't think know how to check if someone else was hired. 

IIRC, it used to say "closed" before, but maybe NOW THAT WE PAY FOR CONNECTS people are obsessing over the proposals section.

I sometimes get notifications from Upwork on my unsuccessful proposals with the words that a job has been closed. I hardly ever check to see what the job was. But I usually take it to mean either the client preferred someone else (they don't always say) or that it has simply passed its sell-by date and has been archived. So I can understand the confusion. I can't remember if one gets a notification of connects being returned if a job is closed by Upwork because of a violation. 

Nichola L wrote:

I sometimes get notifications from Upwork on my unsuccessful proposals with the words that a job has been closed. I hardly ever check to see what the job was. But I usually take it to mean either the client preferred someone else (they don't always say) or that it has simply passed its sell-by date and has been archived. So I can understand the confusion. I can't remember if one gets a notification of connects being returned if a job us closed by Upwork because of a violation. 

If you look at the ones where you got a message, they say "declined by client." Doesn't always send you a message it seems. I have a few of those but only remember getting an email for 1-2 of them. One guy did it cuz he mad about my price "I'll show that O*&(@&#*%(#&* freelancer I'll archive her proposal!" 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 

It's been a long time since I bid on a job where it was a scammer or something like that, but at least back in the day you used to get notification.

So I have been tracking this a bit more closely.

I receive emails that say "This job is closed" as the subject line, then when you check the email, it says "closed or expired." Connects are only returned in one of those cases, however the language/messaging from Upwork is very unclear.

I suspect, but can't be certain (I don't save every email) that Upwork is beginning to close jobs that have been open too long (w/out hiring), but this doesn't seem to qualify for "refunded connects." Neither does the "expired" designation which appears to be related to feature placement.

Either way, I have a lot of jobs where I was either invited (no connects) or applied, where NOTHING has happened. I have no issue paying for connects and agree that Upwork should not be policing clients, etc. However given what appears to be a significant number of "browsers" in the client world, I would like to see Upwork review their criteria for a refund policy a bit to help freelancers. 

Miriam H wrote:

So I have been tracking this a bit more closely.

I receive emails that say "This job is closed" as the subject line, then when you check the email, it says "closed or expired." Connects are only returned in one of those cases, however the language/messaging from Upwork is very unclear.

I suspect, but can't be certain (I don't save every email) that Upwork is beginning to close jobs that have been open too long (w/out hiring), but this doesn't seem to qualify for "refunded connects." Neither does the "expired" designation which appears to be related to feature placement.

Either way, I have a lot of jobs where I was either invited (no connects) or applied, where NOTHING has happened. I have no issue paying for connects and agree that Upwork should not be policing clients, etc. However given what appears to be a significant number of "browsers" in the client world, I would like to see Upwork review their criteria for a refund policy a bit to help freelancers. 

I agree. But I have to say when I get these messages, I rarely check to see what "closed" actually means. Upwork, as usual, needs to make its messages a bit more specific.  

When I apply for a job, or even if I have been invited  (Upwork doesn't make the distinction) - I simply move on until I get a positive offer. Which brings me to the OT topic of a totally over-charged message room ...  populated by people one is never, ever going to hear from again. If Upwork can archive, we should also be able to. Elance's system for this was clear-cut (and consultable).  

How do we as contractors know if they hired or not? We just take up works word for it? I've submitted 14 proposals and none hired. 2 just chat and sit there and do nothing.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths