🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Age requirement
Page options
allysonvoice
Community Member

Age requirement

When I first signed up for Upwork, I did so because I heard this was a great platform for any kinds of work. It never said anything about my age and I even have that I am a teenager as one of my keywords. Now that I got my first job it is telling me I have to be 18. What is that and is there any way around it?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

Allyson H wrote:

When I first signed up for Upwork, I did so because I heard this was a great platform for any kinds of work. It never said anything about my age and I even have that I am a teenager as one of my keywords. Now that I got my first job it is telling me I have to be 18. What is that and is there any way around it?

But Upwork does state quite clearly the rules and regs about minimum age. You should have read the terms of service before starting.  But it does depend where you are located. You have to be a legal entity i.e. a business or organization that has legal rights and responsibilities (filing tax or being in a position to sue or be sued etc.) Or if, where you live you have reached the age of majority. 

https://www.upwork.com/legal#useragreement

1.2 ACCOUNT ELIGIBILITY
Upwork offers the Site and Site Services for your business purposes only and not for personal, household, or consumer use. To register for an Account or use the Site and Site Services, you must, and hereby represent that you: (a) are an employee or agent of and authorized to act for and bind an independent business (whether it be as a self-employed individual/sole proprietor or as a corporation, limited liability company, or other entity); (b) will use the Site and Site Services for business purposes only; (c) will comply with any licensing, registration, or other requirements with respect to your business, or the business for which you are acting, and the provision of Freelancer Services; and (d) are either a legal entity or an individual who is 18 years or older (or have otherwise reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you conduct business) in each case who can form legally binding contracts.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What is that?"

It means that you must be 18 years old or older in order to use Upwork as a freelancer.

re: "and is there any way around it?"

No.

colettelewis
Community Member

Allyson H wrote:

But Upwork does state quite clearly the rules and regs about minimum age. You should have read the terms of service before starting.  But it does depend where you are located. You have to be a legal entity i.e. a business or organization that has legal rights and responsibilities (filing tax or being in a position to sue or be sued etc.) Or if, where you live you have reached the age of majority. 

https://www.upwork.com/legal#useragreement

1.2 ACCOUNT ELIGIBILITY
Upwork offers the Site and Site Services for your business purposes only and not for personal, household, or consumer use. To register for an Account or use the Site and Site Services, you must, and hereby represent that you: (a) are an employee or agent of and authorized to act for and bind an independent business (whether it be as a self-employed individual/sole proprietor or as a corporation, limited liability company, or other entity); (b) will use the Site and Site Services for business purposes only; (c) will comply with any licensing, registration, or other requirements with respect to your business, or the business for which you are acting, and the provision of Freelancer Services; and (d) are either a legal entity or an individual who is 18 years or older (or have otherwise reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which you conduct business) in each case who can form legally binding contracts.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members