cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agency flexibility missing - almost anti agency policy been followerd

anthem
Hemant G Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
1 of 26

I have been on Odesk. Elance and now Upwork. I am an Agency owner, I have a company setup professionaly and have a well trained team, I am also a developer my self so I do a lot of bidding under my own name as agency resource but also have a team member as staffing manager bidding.

My issue is with how the software is almost setup against agencies. lacks flexibility for the owner

See the issue I face as owner

1. I have to login to track staffing manager activites and messages, there is no notification email, if he recieves an Invite or messages from client. which in turn endup unaswred over the weekend as I am not aware of it and staffing manager is not monitoring upwork during weekend. very inconvieint.
  2. Why 3 options of Owner account, Agency and client? If someone messages me directly as freelancer and I have agency selected I miss the message, again no email notification ? there should be one option only as owner I should be able to do what ever I want, this is very limiting
  3. Once a bit is accepted I should be able to assign it to one of my exclusive resources and not everything should come to my account. espcially for hourly work, I as agency owner have a right to select resource working on the project, I am sure you know what resource alocation means in a company setup, the ultimate responsibility of the delivery lies with the company not the resource, again almost an anti-agency concept .

you have a singular view that only freelancers work on upwork and agencies are not important, tell you what in a receeding market agencies become more important as freelancing is not sustainbale. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 26

Hemant G wrote:

...... tell you what in a receeding market agencies become more important as freelancing is not sustainbale. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

1. The market isn't "receeding!"
  2. Where does **Edited for Community Guidelines** "freelancing not being sustainable" come from?

Personally I have long been of the opinion that Upwork should do away with the agency concept altogether.

As a client I specify that I wish to work with independent freelancers only, and decline any agency applications immediately.

anthem
3 of 26

"Receeding market" thats the only thing you picked up from that??? 

I don't understand the aggrasive stance, I don't know what you envision  Agency is, but think of it as a company which we are, a salary is paid to resources and work is expected of them. Agency helps control quality and backup when a resource is not available how is this all bad. Seriously think in my shoes, you are a CEO and have 20 somthing in team, would you not like the options i listed above?? 

gajendradewra
Community Leader
Gajendra D Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
4 of 26

@Hemant G wrote:

"Receeding market" thats the only thing you picked up from that??? 

I don't understand the aggrasive stance, I don't know what you envision  Agency is, but think of it as a company which we are, a salary is paid to resources and work is expected of them. Agency helps control quality and backup when a resource is not available how is this all bad. Seriously think in my shoes, you are a CEO and have 20 somthing in team, would you not like the options i listed above?? 

Because this is freelancing concept and so there is the difference between a company & employees and freelancing. this is the point of whole this structure, which again you want to get it back to company concept! then why it is called freelancing?

this looks to me like you basically want to get more work for your company via freelancing. I am not against it, but just want to clarify. that may help.

excuse my english

anthem
5 of 26

I disagree that Upwork is just freelancing work, then why do they have Agency concept at all. They have Agency related documents they verify they know we are companies looking for more work. but they don't want to let go of thier Freelancer stand, its like that they like our money but don't like to give us required flexibilty to function. 

As a client of upwork I am not staisfied I pay for thier services they should be more receptive to change then just banging the same drum for every post. 

gajendradewra
Community Leader
Gajendra D Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
6 of 26

@Hemant G wrote:

I disagree that Upwork is just freelancing work, then why do they have Agency concept at all. They have Agency related documents they verify they know we are companies looking for more work. but they don't want to let go of thier Freelancer stand, its like that they like our money but don't like to give us required flexibilty to function. 

As a client of upwork I am not staisfied I pay for thier services they should be more receptive to change then just banging the same drum for every post. 

Now that makes sense and I wish that will make clear to you why an agency is there:

"An agency is a business that sells the services of multiple freelancers on Upwork." not multiple employees

source: the first line

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062598-About-Agencies

"Agencies are teams of professionals on Upwork that can deliver large and complex projects." Not team of professional employees at your company
source: the first line
https://www.upwork.com/i/agency/

Now something more, Agencies don't mean to work in bulk, instead, work as a team on a project where more than one or two skilled require. That means on a project many freelancers will work, but with different skills.

I hope that helps, please don't take it otherwise, trying to get the concept clear 😛

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 26

@Hemant G wrote:

....I don't know what you envision  Agency is, but think of it as a company which we are, a salary is paid to resources and work is expected of them. Agency helps control quality and backup when a resource is not available how is this all bad. Seriously think in my shoes, you are a CEO and have 20 somthing in team, would you not like the options i listed above?? 

Hemant,

How Petra, you, or I envision an agency is irrelevant. What is relevant is what Upwork thinks an agency is: their description and constraints are publicly available, and have been repeated to you through other channels.

Your company, as you describe it, is far from an Upwork agency. The likelihood of fitting your business model into their system seems remote.

Best,

Michael

anthem
8 of 26

Hi Michael, 

Absolutly agree with you, its for upwork to define Agency as an entity in their system. I was mearly bringing forward the issues we face as Agency. Also there a contradiction in how upwork defines agency look at the link you shared https://www.upwork.com/i/agency/

Agencies range from small teams of a few members, to large companies with hundreds of full-time employees and decades of experience. Top agencies on Upwork deliver projects of a few thousand dollars up to $200,000 or more.

when you say full time employees, how does that translate into "Freelancers" working as a team. my point here is upwork is aware of how Companies are trying to fit into Agency model, and if its a business model for them then they should accomodate companies. 

I hope I am making sense here.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 26

If there are agencies here working on $200k projects, Upwork is probably a lot more flexible with the rules. I would worry about that if you ever get there, which is unlikely if you're complaining about this stuff.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 26

@Hemant G wrote:

Hi Michael, 

Absolutly agree with you, its for upwork to define Agency as an entity in their system. I was mearly bringing forward the issues we face as Agency. Also there a contradiction in how upwork defines agency look at the link you shared https://www.upwork.com/i/agency/

Agencies range from small teams of a few members, to large companies with hundreds of full-time employees and decades of experience. Top agencies on Upwork deliver projects of a few thousand dollars up to $200,000 or more.

when you say full time employees, how does that translate into "Freelancers" working as a team. my point here is upwork is aware of how Companies are trying to fit into Agency model, and if its a business model for them then they should accomodate companies. 

I hope I am making sense here.

Good points, Hemant. I was only aware of how Upwork's Agency model differed from Elance's Company model—by very deliberate design—and was unaware of the passage you quote, which would indeed seem to welcome a company like yours.

That said, if you want Agency work here, you start by playing by Upwork's rules. If the overhead is too great, or their rules interfere with how you manage your employees, then it's not a good fit. The chances of your being able to argue Upwork into changing its rules to suit your business model are essentially zero. Only you can decide whether it's worth the effort—possibly on a subset of compatible contracts, rather than across your business as a whole.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS