Did you mean: 

Agency flexibility missing - almost anti agency policy been followerd

gajendradewra
Community Leader
Gajendra D Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
11 of 26

@Hemant G wrote:

Hi Michael, 

Absolutly agree with you, its for upwork to define Agency as an entity in their system. I was mearly bringing forward the issues we face as Agency. Also there a contradiction in how upwork defines agency look at the link you shared https://www.upwork.com/i/agency/

Agencies range from small teams of a few members, to large companies with hundreds of full-time employees and decades of experience. Top agencies on Upwork deliver projects of a few thousand dollars up to $200,000 or more.

when you say full time employees, how does that translate into "Freelancers" working as a team. my point here is upwork is aware of how Companies are trying to fit into Agency model, and if its a business model for them then they should accomodate companies. 

I hope I am making sense here.

I see, I haven't read that bottom when I got a meaning of agency on top and I found that suitable how upwork setup agencies.

Now I wonder as like as you, how those companies with hundreds of full-time employees can work on upwork! 

There is only one way, get jobs on your profile under agency and give them to employees? but we can't do that because the freelancer who gets the job should do it himself!

So get all of the employees on upwork? and they will leave the company and start working at upwork. (I sense some dirty marketing strategy here 😛 ). Also, there are more chances of them leaving you (the company) because they will know

'How to bid' by reading proposals you submitted 

'How to interview'  

Ah! also they will NOT need to setup profile because you will do it, make it shine with your hard efforts and costly connects.

nothing to say... I expect someone explain HOW even it is possible. ( large companies with hundreds of full-time employees )

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 26

@Gajendra D wrote:

So get all of the employees on upwork? and they will leave the company and start working at upwork. (I sense some dirty marketing strategy here 😛 ). Also, there are more chances of them leaving you (the company) because they will know

'How to bid' by reading proposals you submitted 

'How to interview'  

Ah! also they will NOT need to setup profile because you will do it, make it shine with your hard efforts and costly connects....

Gajendra,

Your description of advantages to agency members is more or less accurate. However, your inference of Upwork's conspiring to poach employees is unfounded. The dynamics you describe help protect clients, who have a direct line of communication with the person(s) actually doing the work, and protect workers, who have a better understanding of the level and value of their skills than they would with an opaque layer of management—whether benevolent or exploitative—between them and the client.

As for the agency owners' "hard efforts," it's true that many workers prefer to have another entity handling our marketing; that's why many of us are here in the first place. On the other hand, you might want to revisit the labor theory of value.

Best,

Michael

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
13 of 26

@Hemant G wrote:

"Receeding market" thats the only thing you picked up from that??? 

I don't understand the aggrasive stance, I don't know what you envision  Agency is, but think of it as a company which we are, a salary is paid to resources and work is expected of them. Agency helps control quality and backup when a resource is not available how is this all bad. Seriously think in my shoes, you are a CEO and have 20 somthing in team, would you not like the options i listed above?? 

I definitely don't like them. The more layers you put between a stakeholder and the person doing the work, the less likely it is to be satisfactory. The last thing I want is some third party who is not an expert in my field inserting himself/herself for "quality control," and if back-up is required I want to choose that person. Those issues are further aggravated when there is a language barrier, as appears to be the case from your posts.

Plus, I'm not saying this is the case for your agency, which I know nothing about, but many Upwork "agencies" are just farmers with no professionalism or quality control passing work off to cheaper contractors. 

Finally, I'm curious about where you got the idea that freelancing is becoming unsustainable. Freelancing is a rapidly growing industry, and many of us are earning far more than we did as employees.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
14 of 26

Hi Hemant,

1. I have to login to track staffing manager activites and messages, there is no notification email, if he recieves an Invite or messages from client. which in turn endup unaswred over the weekend as I am not aware of it and staffing manager is not monitoring upwork during weekend. very inconvieint.

Please check the notification settings on your Agency profile and make the necessary adjustments, since users are notified both through email and on their account.

1. Why 3 options of Owner account, Agency and client? If someone messages me directly as freelancer and I have agency selected I miss the message, again no email notification ? there should be one option only as owner I should be able to do what ever I want, this is very limiting

Please see the information I shared above.

1. Once a bit is accepted I should be able to assign it to one of my exclusive resources and not everything should come to my account.

By design, proposals and message rooms can't be transferred to other team members.

1. espcially for hourly work, I as agency owner have a right to select resource working on the project, I am sure you know what resource alocation means in a company setup, the ultimate responsibility of the delivery lies with the company not the resource, again almost an anti-agency concept .

Transitioning Hourly contracts is prohibited on Upwork and considered a serious ToS violation.

1. you have a singular view that only freelancers work on upwork and agencies are not important, tell you what in a receeding market agencies become more important as freelancing is not sustainbale. 

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I'll share it with our team but do please review Upwork ToS and resources to find out how the agency model is designed to be used on Upwork.

Untitled
anthem
Hemant G Member Since: Jul 20, 2017
15 of 26

Please check the notification settings on your Agency profile and make the necessary adjustments, since users are notified both through email and on their account.

Vlad, 

I have all the email notifications setting enabled (see image), i would not be complaining if that was the case.

I understand you Hourly TOS don't allow it, what my take is that Agency should have more leway to assign resources to project, like elance used to do. Upwork is too focused on freelancers which makes job of small companies that much harder. 

notifications.png   

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
16 of 26

Hi Hemant,

If you're not receiving email notifications, please submit a support request and our team will take a look and advise.

Untitled
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 26

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread. We appreciate your feedback and suggestions but we'd also like to ask you to refrain from making personal attacks and violating Community Guidelines when expressing your opinion.

~ Valeria
Upwork
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 26

This was brought up by another person in a thread just a few days ago.

Upwork seems to want a model with individual freelancers, and I think it's great. My income went way up after I moved from Elance, which was dominated by companies farming out everything.

They must have a reason that they aren't adopting the Elance model since Elance was the one going under. I assume that companies were more of a liability, and I agree from what I saw but they have their own reasons. 

I will be severely disappointed if they allow what Elance allowed. I've already said that if they do, I'm not fighting that battle anymore and will start doing what the companies were doing in my section. I'm glad to see though that Upwork is building an individual freelancer model. Killing off that Elance company model is a good thing.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
19 of 26

Everyone seems to be missing one key fact. Not all agencies are farmers.

Some agencies are basically an agreement between trusted people with proven and viable skill sets agreeing to share/refer work amongst themselves to better help clients.

Depending on the size and scope of the project and the client desires there can be a Project Manager or not. Each individual sets their own price based on his/her published profile rate as an independent freelancer.

These agencies provide a valuable service to clients.

1. Referrals are creditable and vetted.

2. Communications between all parties works more efficiently

3. These 2 things alone saves clients money, time, and effort.

Again, not all agencies are farmers.

gajendradewra
Community Leader
Gajendra D Member Since: Dec 29, 2015
20 of 26

@Wendy C wrote:

Everyone seems to be missing one key fact. Not all agencies are farmers.

Some agencies are basically an agreement between trusted people with proven and viable skill sets agreeing to share/refer work amongst themselves to better help clients.

Depending on the size and scope of the project and the client desires there can be a Project Manager or not. Each individual sets their own price based on his/her published profile rate as an independent freelancer.

These agencies provide a valuable service to clients.

1. Referrals are creditable and vetted.

2. Communications between all parties works more efficiently

3. These 2 things alone saves clients money, time, and effort.

Again, not all agencies are farmers.

I don't think we said any/all Agency are farmers! we are merely trying to understand the difference between company and agency and we are saying, the current model doesn't allow so called farming!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS