Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Agency posing as a Freelancer

digiphics
Community Guru
Gerald S Member Since: Apr 1, 2018
1 of 11

Is there a rule that Agencies can't pose as a Freelancer? I'm seeing one specific agency that's winning alot of jobs and the clients think at first they are hiring a single freelancer. Is this a Terms and Conditions issue?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 11

Hi Gerald,

 

A freelancer profile should represent a person. It can't advertise services of an agency or a team in the profile description. That said, freelancers are allowed to subcontract fixed-price contracts as long as they inform their clients about it. If you suspect a freelancer is violating Upwork ToS, please flag their profile as inappropriate and the team will review.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
digiphics
Community Guru
Gerald S Member Since: Apr 1, 2018
3 of 11

I sent you a private message.

f2f85db8
Active Member
Armand A Member Since: Oct 8, 2018
4 of 11

I wanted to respond to this as well.  I feel like the freelancer that I have hired is posing as a single person doing the work, however, the responses/communication beg to tell a different story.  No was I notified of this.  What is the correct action to take if this is the case?  I feel like it is hurting progress on my project, and getting a single line of communication makes requirements/feedback discussion difficult.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 11

@Armand A wrote:

I wanted to respond to this as well.  I feel like the freelancer that I have hired is posing as a single person doing the work, however, the responses/communication beg to tell a different story.  No was I notified of this.  What is the correct action to take if this is the case?  I feel like it is hurting progress on my project, and getting a single line of communication makes requirements/feedback discussion difficult.


You may want to stop working with them as soon as you can, close the job and leave a feedback reflecting accurately the situation.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
f2f85db8
Active Member
Armand A Member Since: Oct 8, 2018
6 of 11

It didn't become apparent till recently and I have already submitted two payments to them.  They are doing work, however, comms have started to suffer.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
7 of 11

I see this all the time and I always flag it. 

sergio-soria
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
8 of 11

@Mary W wrote:

I see this all the time and I always flag it. 


I do too, though I am starting to think flagging is useless because I keep seeing the same profiles I reported without any changes, some of them even appear on othe first page when I search, unbelievable...

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 11

@Armand A wrote:

It didn't become apparent till recently and I have already submitted two payments to them.  They are doing work, however, comms have started to suffer.


Do what you think is the best, but avoid to end-up in a situation that would be hard to get out later. Communication problems can rapidly have devastating effects on a project.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
f2f85db8
Active Member
Armand A Member Since: Oct 8, 2018
10 of 11

@Rene K wrote:

@Armand A wrote:

It didn't become apparent till recently and I have already submitted two payments to them.  They are doing work, however, comms have started to suffer.


Do what you think is the best, but avoid to end-up in a situation that would be hard to get out later. Communication problems can rapidly have devastating effects on a project.


 I will know after I receive my demo this week.  If it is totally off then I will proceed with stopping and open a dispute.  What I am worried about, is, am I out what has already been billed hourly?  There has been MVP started and delivered, so I don't want to lose either the $ or progress.

 

Regardless, will flag them for other users.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS