🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Algorithm changed - Not showing up or getting...
Page options
erica_tramuta-dr
Community Member

Algorithm changed - Not showing up or getting invites despite improvements to profile

I want to know why I was showing up in searches and getting invites and am not now. I asked Upwork support and was told cryptically that the algorithm changed but not what I can do to fix it. Ironically, it happened after I had made myself unavailable for a period of time as I was recovering from surgery.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlbp
Community Member

Erica T wrote:

I want to know why I was showing up in searches and getting invites and am not now. I asked Upwork support and was told cryptically that the algorithm changed but not what I can do to fix it. Ironically, it happened after I had made myself unavailable for a period of time as I was recovering from surgery.

Placement at the top of search rotates so that the same set of freelancers isn't always getting all the invites. You'll notice periods of feast or famine. Also, if you aren't active on the platform, you will receive fewer invites. So, you will probably need to send some proposals to trigger the algorithm's attention. 
It makes sense, why would Upwork want clients to send invites to freelancers who may no longer be using the platform or are not likely to respond. That creates a bad UX for clients (which is bad for all of us.)  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Search results are rotated. It is not like optimizing for Google.

Don't search for yourself.

Don't ask Customer Support about search. They can't provide you with anything.

You may search in this Forum for information, or ask questions here.

tlbp
Community Member

Erica T wrote:

Placement at the top of search rotates so that the same set of freelancers isn't always getting all the invites. You'll notice periods of feast or famine. Also, if you aren't active on the platform, you will receive fewer invites. So, you will probably need to send some proposals to trigger the algorithm's attention. 
It makes sense, why would Upwork want clients to send invites to freelancers who may no longer be using the platform or are not likely to respond. That creates a bad UX for clients (which is bad for all of us.)  

I agree with you. Thanks. But expected once I became active again, made updates, and the like I would be more visible and start to get invites again. However, looking at my stats, I wasn't even viewed once the past 1 week. That is odd. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members