🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Algorithm how Upwork sorts Freelancers
Page options
lovro_europe
Community Member

Algorithm how Upwork sorts Freelancers

I was using Elance for 3 years and had awesome results there. On Upwork no progress.

Now my Q is how Upwork search threw Freelancer profiles and ranks them. Lets say a client seeks for asp.net term. How is the order by freelancers sorted? On Elance it was based on your rank and experience + keywords. On Upwork it has nothing to do with rank,experience and little bit with keywords. Ive searched for several freelancers for keyword asp.net and first ones I got had 0 hours or very low experience. Any idea and what is the logic?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Before questioning freelancer search sorting, you should read this thread on the same topic:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Freelancer-search-results/td-p/102056

In particular, note this comment by Upwork's Valeria:

I would like to note that search results will vary depending on who searches and the time of the search. That way we want to make sure that every professional gets a chance to be discovered and every client finds what they are looking for.

So until further notice, there's a rotation of the results such that the 'most qualified' freelancers aren't always the first ones to be displayed.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
vanaoshad
Community Member

Hi Lovro,

Great question! I am also interested to know how upwork search and rank freelancers. It would be great if a moderator help us to know about Rank Algorithm.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

@naoshadul I wrote:

Hi @lovro_europe

Great question! I am also interested to know how upwork search and rank freelancers. It would be great if a moderator help us to know about Rank Algorithm.

Naoshadul, Could you please check your profile first before you continue with questions? You have a freelancer and agency profile as well, and the only one employed in this agency are you. This violates TOS. Obviously, if one person has two accounts this person improves his/her chances to appear in search results. This is unfair towards other freelancers and circumvents the algorithm. 

@Margarete M wrote:

Naoshadul, Could you please check your profile first before you continue with questions? You have a freelancer and agency profile as well, and the only one employed in this agency are you. This violates TOS. 

Who told you that? He can have both accounts and a client account.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

@Jean S wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

Naoshadul, Could you please check your profile first before you continue with questions? You have a freelancer and agency profile as well, and the only one employed in this agency are you. This violates TOS. 

You are right, Jean. However, from my point of view a client account is not the same as an agency account. A client account is not linked to the freelancer profile and does not appear in any search results in contrast to the agency profile.

@Margarete M wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

You are right, Jean. However, from my point of view a client account is not the same as an agency account. A client account is not linked to the freelancer profile and does not appear in any search results in contrast to the agency profile.

The bottom line is he is doing absolutely nothing wrong and is in fact following Upworks rules to a T.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

@Jean S wrote:

The bottom line is he is doing absolutely nothing wrong and is in fact following Upworks rules to a T.

Oh, I did not know that is following Upwork's TOS if you have a freelancer and an agency account for one person with the agency account linked to the company website (ok, the domain is for sale now). 

lysis10
Community Member

Search is weird. Some days I search my name and I'm #2 (behind a dude named vlad... go figure) and other days I don't show at all. Like today, I searched just to see and I don't see me anywhere.

I wonder if opened contracts has anything to do with it. I got a few pretty rad gigs this past week. I was getting a few invites the week prior but now nothing.

I have a great response rate though, so I feel like I might be in the recommended list when I bid, so I guess it's a tradeoff. lol

I agree with Jennifer: search is weird. When I search for freelancers using the query 'web research', and applying the filter 'Expert experience', the first guy on the list is a 'Web and IOS Developer'. Robot Mad

**edited for Community Guidelines**

From this article http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/october/podcast-big-data-102715.html

The company plans on achieving this through matching algorithms developed by Upwork’s team of Stanford PhDs, a new 'Instamatch' capability allowing freelancers to set an availability status, as well as revamped desktop, mobile and tablet apps.

"It’s not about any human being able to do the work, it’s matching the very best workers with the very best companies,” Mr Olsen said.

"We’re investing heavily in adding data science models, as well as human resources to help the matching for the clients. 

Thanks for the link, Jean!

I am not sure how the upwork algorithm work as few days back my profile was on atleast 1st page and now i am nowhere. I want to know the steps to follow so i can make my posiiton on top. I would appreciate if anyone can help me for this concern. 

Thanks!

Hi Ashish,

Freelancers in search results are shown on a rotating basis so that everyone gets a fair chance to be discovered. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

thank you so much Goran for replying me back, Yes i want to ask one thing more that when i serach with  keywords in same session then i can't see my profile on upwork serach but when i search it in private window then i can see my profile on top pages. What is the reason behind it? I would appreciate if you can answer me on this.

Thanks!

Hi Ashish,

Please note that we won't be able to provide more specific information apart from the general overview Goran already shared with you and confirm that freelancers and agencies are displayed in search results as by design. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Vlad impaled his competitors.  I like him already.

f1ad6c74
Community Member

Hi Jennifer, Please how do I increase my response rate? 

lovro_europe
Community Member

I assume that now after 24h Ive posted this topic,no one actually knows how this works which was my biggest concern at first. That is a problem if search algorithm has no logic and is not transparent. That is also one of the reasons why we all have huge downfall comparing it with Elance. Without proper rankings and ladders such as on Elance that we can see how we are positioned comapred with other freelancers,what is the point of working long term on this platform and building up your profile since best jobs are got in a way that clients find freelancers and not other way arround?! Since we are not able to stand out, clients are not able to find freelancers who have proven track of work and are also dedicated to this platform

Today on Upwork there is no order in terms of search results based on keyword matching and if on first page you can see new freeelancers,freelancers without or very few work,experts and average freelancers how can a client even find best freelancer to work with at first? Since I am also SEO expert I cant find any correlation with keywords we put under our profile,tags under our portfolio so again what is the logic there?

They should at least under my stats,same as on Elance put rank position in category or on network and then order the results in search based on rank and keywords freelancers has in ther profile. At the moment there is no such a way so we who are on the network for several years with many projects done (I have 150) are left in the middle.

Any ideas?

@Lovro B wrote:

....Without proper rankings and ladders such as on Elance that we can see how we are positioned comapred with other freelancers...

Lovro,

Without disputing any of your other points or concerns, I must point out that Elance's ranking system was and is far from "proper." Before its reform a year or so ago—whether to simply improve it or to conform it in some way to oDesk's metrics is unknown—it had a fundamental bias toward high revenue volume, and in effect rewarded runaway farming of services, lousy quality control, and a poor buyer experience. Even after reform, many of the individual factors determining "levels" remain revenue-driven—not to mention the blatant self-serving, to the potential detriment of clients, in Elance's bumping the "points" and levels of paying members. [edited to add: The entire bottom half to third of the scale (levels one through six or so) is inflated, apparently to encourage newbies and lower-revenue providers by the "feel-good" method—which of course doesn't take one very far once professional competition begins.]

While Upwork's JSS seems imperfect, and may have its "productivity" elements, it does not appear to be so high-revenue-driven as even the reformed Elance levels.

Best,

Michael

Problem with Upwork is that it is not Transparent in any way of showing search results or ranking the freelancers. On Elance you knew if you are specialized for particular field and had many jobs done correlated with it,you would be ranked well. Here as I said on first page you can see guys with zero hours done, without any portfolios, not even related with the search term so yet again, how can the client find you and how can I be sure that my constant work and long term commitment to Upwork is a good step for my overall career since I done see any kind of progress of positioning my profile on Upworks network regarding the work done so far

Yes that's the way it is here and it won't be changing. They paid a million dollars for that algorithm and it won't be going away anytime soon, so you'll have to adapt if you choose to stay.

Are you saying that on Elance you always showed in the top 10 or 20? Boy that would be unfair to other freelancers if true.

For particular keywords and jobs I was specialized I was always on the first page and I dont see why is that not good. It is like trying to Google "CNN" and you get to find CNN web page on 3rd page. What is the purpose of the search engine then? The whole idea of the search engine is to find best matching results and show them order by that credential. Here it is random and does not provide any quick solution/results. They could have payed me 100 000$ and I would do it better or give them a return + penalties

@Lovro B wrote:

For particular keywords and jobs I was specialized I was always on the first page and I dont see why is that not good. It is like trying to Google "CNN" and you get to find CNN web page on 3rd page. What is the purpose of the search engine then? The whole idea of the search engine is to find best matching results and show them order by that credential. Here it is random and does not provide any quick solution/results. They could have payed me 100 000$ and I would do it better or give them a return + penalties

What happened to the other freelancers who were just as good as you if you were ALWAYS on the first page?

How is that fair to others.

So you basically got a lot more job than other people.

No thanks, I'll stick with the way the try to do it here. 

Firs page was constantly updated and if you did a bad job you were gone from it and someone else was there. Same as Google alogirthm and that is the only fair one. Here if you randomly put freelancers which are not order by any kind of criteria you a forming a non transparent messed up place and again my Q is; what is stopping freelancers to constantly open new accounts since if long term commitment is not awarded in any kind of way,what is the benefit of providing solid and long term work? If you are full time freelancer you can be pleased with 5000$ per year or similar especially if you want to build a company on it and stick to the platform which means you need to handle much more work then someone who is on the network as hobby.

I had spent a lot of time on Upwork trying to browse freelancers that are making 40 000 - 50 000$ per year on the platform which again on Elance was not the case. If idea is that we all make 5000$ or 10 000$ per year then I get it but it is not a place then for real full time freelancers and hard workers.

Before questioning freelancer search sorting, you should read this thread on the same topic:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Freelancer-search-results/td-p/102056

In particular, note this comment by Upwork's Valeria:

I would like to note that search results will vary depending on who searches and the time of the search. That way we want to make sure that every professional gets a chance to be discovered and every client finds what they are looking for.

So until further notice, there's a rotation of the results such that the 'most qualified' freelancers aren't always the first ones to be displayed.

Hi Lovro,

In addition to the information that has been noted by other users on this thread about search, I would like to note that creating duplicate accounts is a violation of Upwork Policies and we have systems to discover such accounts and take actions. 

We value the reputation build by freelancers who have been on the platform for a long time. They do show prominently in search when their skills and work history match the requirements of clients who are searching. However, professionals who recently started their Upwork careers and have shown great results will be given a chance and access to good opportunities as well.

~ Valeria
Upwork
f1ad6c74
Community Member

Please, how do I increase my visibility?  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths