🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » All 5 star ratings and Job Success only 63 pe...
Page options
2331f294
Community Member

All 5 star ratings and Job Success only 63 percent

Hi guys! I have a really superannoying stuff, I've gotten 4 5-star reviews, one of them for 50+ hours work, one big job in progress and my Job Success Score is only 63 percent. 

Is it some kind of bug?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Artem K wrote:

Hi guys! I have a really superannoying stuff, I've gotten 4 5-star reviews, one of them for 50+ hours work, one big job in progress and my Job Success Score is only 63 percent. 

Private feedback.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Artem K wrote:

Private feedback.

2331f294
Community Member

Petra Thanks a lot! But what's the point of dividing reviews?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Artem:

Your "My Stats" page

Upwork -> Find Work -> My Stats

...has a section called "Client Satisfaction" which highlights some of the things that are taken into consideration for calculation of the JSS score.

Public star-average ratings are NOT the only factor, and are NOT the primary factor.

Upwork does not publicize the calculations, and many here in the Forum believe that the precise calculations and formula have changed significantly since the JSS was introduced, but factors that Upwork has mentioned include:

- private feedback

- contracts closed without feedback

- contracts closed without pay

- percent of long-term clients

Preston H wrote:

- private feedback

Contracts closed without feedback have no effect unless there are crazy many (I have bookmarked a profile with 85% in all calculation windows no feedback contracts and 100% JSS) It is my personal belief you'd have to literally have ONLY no feedback contracts to make a difference.

Contracts without pay do not necessarily hurt the JSS, not if they come with good (private) feedback.

The actual percentage of long term clients is irrelevant but every long term client helps the JSS (a little) It would be nuts to consider the percentage a factor because that would penalise freelancers for taking a mix of long- and short-term clients. A freelancer with 3 long term clients would have a 100% long term client percentage whereas the same freelancer with the same 2 long term clients and 8 short term ones would have a 20% long term client percentage...

You forgot contracts left open with nothing ever (!) paid for months - those hurt as well.

Petra:

Excellent points.

As with all things on Upwork, things written in past posts or even official help pages can be instructive, but do not necessarily represent how JSS calculations are currently done. And Upwork has never provided its exact calculations publicly.

It is useful to know generally what is harmful or hurtful to JSS, but there is no way to "game the system" and Upwork wants it that way. 

The reliable way for freelancers to reliably maintain a high JSS is to accept jobs that they know they can succeed in and provide high standard of service and professionalism.

florydev
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Preston H wrote:

- private feedback

Does public feedback actually matter at all in regards to JSS?  I must have read a hundred posts when you talk about this and I had formed the impression it does not matter, or if it does it is mostly insignifcant.

No matter what you answer I am going to come back and say you don't know and you are just guessing and say I want a mod to respond and then say that you spend too much time here and are probably a secret Upwork spy.   Just trying to level set expectations.

petra_r
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Does public feedback actually matter at all in regards to JSS?  I must have read a hundred posts when you talk about this and I had formed the impression it does not matter, or if it does it is mostly insignifcant.

Personally, I have a feeling and some evidence-based theory (but no real proof) that public feedback is mere eye candy and has little, if any effect on the JSS, but I do not know this for certain.

Mark F wrote:

No matter what you answer I am going to come back and say you don't know and you are just guessing and say I want a mod to respond and then say that you spend too much time here and are probably a secret Upwork spy.   Just trying to level set expectations.

Thanks for the warning.

There, there, have a lollipop!There, there, have a lollipop!

florydev
Community Member

Personally, I have a feeling and some evidence-based theory (but no real proof) that public feedback is mere eye candy and has little, if any effect on the JSS, but I do not know this for certain.

There you go bringing feelings into it again, I want cold, hard inconvertable proof.

Thanks for the warning.

There, there, have a lollipop!There, there, have a lollipop!

No problem whatsoever and thanks!

Mark:

There is not a single Moderator here who works as a programmer of the JSS score functions.

I have no reason to believe that moderators know more about how it is calculated than the sum knowledge of regular Forum participants.

Preston H wrote:

Mark:

There is not a single Moderator here who works as a programmer of the JSS score functions.

I have no reason to believe that moderators know more about how it is calculated than the sum knowledge of regular Forum participants.

The whooshing noise was the sound of Mark's joke going right over Preston's head 😉 - probably because Preston missed the epic thread that prompted it.

Sorry, Preston, I had a serious question but the other bit was just me playing around.  I don't think Petra is an Upwork corporate spy but it would seem that some do.

From what I have seen many Forum participants likely have a better handle on it.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members