🐈 Community
jenambrose

All 5-star reviews & JSS is 67%... Any tips?

Wow is this demoralizing: I've received only 5-star feedback so far (and just 1 client who didn't leave any), and I noticed today that my JSS is 67%.

I'm feeling very frustrated... Anyone have any tips for coming back from a low JSS, or getting hired with a low score? How much do clients tend to care about it?

Also I didn't know much about the score until now, and I have to say, I cannot believe the things that evidently go into it, despite not reflecting the freelancer in any way. 😞 Why is it not just based on client feedback? Or do clients really leave 5-star ratings & glowing public reviews but disparaging private ones? That doesn't make any sense to me.

14 REPLIES 14
purplepony

Jen, it appears that you've read some regarding JSS and attempted to help yourself.  That's great as many don't. There's an abundance of information regarding it in "Help and Support" and within numerous threads within this Community.  You may wish to continue searching in these areas and read as much as you can.  By gaining that additional information and insights you may return to this Community with different questions or all or your questions may get answered.  Good luck to you, Jen.

The thing about JSS is that besides public feedback, the client also leaves private feedback.  Someone could have dinged you privately - there is no way to know.

Take small jobs and do them excellantly and your JSS will grow.  Promise.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jen,

Among other factors you mentioned, jobs that were closed with no money spent that therefore don't show on your public profile are included in your Job Success score as well. That's why you want to communicate with the client about all the terms and conditions and make sure you are able to complete the job before you accept the client's offer. As Pat and Mary pointed out it's still possible to improve your JSS by successfully completing any new jobs you get and delivering great results on your current contracts.

~ Valeria
Upwork
tlsanders

@Jen A wrote:

Why is it not just based on client feedback? Or do clients really leave 5-star ratings & glowing public reviews but disparaging private ones? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Yes, they really do. The fact that it doesn't make sense to you speaks well of you. It suggests that you are not one of those freelancers (sadly, there are many) who would ceaselessly hound a client who dared to leave you less than perfect feedback. 

lairdpeter424

Jen

I sympathise although it is not the end of the world, yet!.

I can say that without fear of contradiction as I too was in your shoes, fortunately I had 4 contracts on the go that closed and sent my JSS higher, I see you have some too, I am now on 99%, I too accepted a contract then cancelled that contract because the client moved the goal posts and aded additional penalty clauses that weren't included in the offer.

Take some short tasks, your lucky in a way as each new job completed well can send your JSS hgigher purely based on the low percentage of completed jobs.

Pete

Thank you all so much for the tips and encouragement! It is comforting to know it's not just me (although I feel for the rest of you as well). I've applied for several more jobs, so here's hoping things start looking up.

fhade

Under your "My stats" Whats your score for "Clients who would recommend you"?. It will probably be close to your JSS score.

If are having trouble finding work with the low score... Just message all your old clients asking if they have any new upcoming projects.

Thanks for the tips! However, next to "Clients who would recommend you" under My Stats, there's just a dash. Do you happen to know what that means?

@Jen A wrote:

Thanks for the tips! However, next to "Clients who would recommend you" under My Stats, there's just a dash. Do you happen to know what that means?

I also want to know what the dash means. I have had only two jobs, both of them with 5-star feedback, but on the "Clients who would recommend you", I have a dash. Does that mean that they don´t recommend me or they just forgot to choose that option (In the case that there is an option for "recommendation")?  

Will this affect my [future] JSS? 

Thank you,

Yanet.

I had the same thing happen. I have 80% of clients who would recommend me, and I'm sure I can guess the one who wouldn't, even though he gave me positive feedback. 

We were able to work together any longer bc of budget limitations on his end, but I feel like it is really unfair that one client who doesn't recommend me can drop my score from 88% (not sure why it even went to 88% from 100%).  

How is it possible to have a JSS of 67% and then 80% of clients who would recommend me, and all positive public feedback, too. 

I just don't understand. 

My clients who would recommend me hovers around 70% but my JSS is 100%.  I don't think there's a big correlation between those numbers.  Private feedback and contracts closed without feedback seem to be much more important.

Hi Jen,

Your JSS is now 73%, so things are improving.

Are you actively working on the “Dec 2016 – Present” job?

Inactivity has a negative effect on the JSS.

"Certa bonum certamen"

I know this doesn't help, but to an extent Job Success is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. For instance, I *thought* percentage of clients who recommend you was rather significant, but judging by what Mary wrote, that may not necessarily be the case. But to address the issue of why a client might leave 5 star public feedback and yet leave so-so private feedback, a client could respond to the private feedback question, "How likely are you to recommend this freelancer to a friend or colleague", very literally, and so, if they do not have any colleagues or friend who are in need of the services you provide, they may very well give you a low score for that question even though they're totally satisfied with your work.

I lost one point during the last cycle. My long-term client rate dropped 2% during that time and I had 3 no feedback contracts (I closed them.) My "would recommend" did not change.

When my JSS was rising, the correlating factor was that my long-term client number was also rising. But, that seemed to only help my score up to a (unknown) limited extent. So I'm not sure a long-term client rate above 50% can have as big of an impact as the rate moving from 30% to 35%.

Yeah- enigma. : ) 

Learning Paths