cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All The Fake Jobs and No Hires

suznee
Community Guru

Well this is interesting. I came across an article on how to hack "insert freelance site name" and make X amount of money in a week.

No wonder everyone is seeing fake jobs and no hires. The advise was to set up a fake account and post a free job to find out what your competitor is writing to land contracts on oDesk. The guy had a webinar in January to teach people how to do this. 

What the heck is wrong with people. I have run across several other articles like this. It is no wonder there is an increase in fake jobs and no hires. Guess the guy in the above thought he was safe as he stated Elance would frown on the fake post but they wouldn't do anything. Where is the raised eyebrow smiley?

Mods if you would like a link to the article I would be more then happy to share but figured i wouldn't post as it really was not something I am sure you would want everyone reading.

58 REPLIES 58
prestonhunter
Community Guru

re: "I came across an article on how to hack..."

Suzanne, thanks for your report about this.

About those articles telling people how to "hack" freelance job sites... That's really stupid and annoying. People should have some self respect.

I really do think oDesk is putting a lot of effort into trying to maintain quality job postings, but I do think they have fallen behind in this battle. It is unfortunate that they need to go to any effort at all to do combat the plague of spam job postings and scammer "clients." But the reality is, they do. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to deal with bottom-feeders like these scammers and hackers, nor would we need to lock our car doors when we park at the mall. But that is the reality we're dealing with for now.

"People should have some self respect"....

I'm sure he had plenty of self respect after pocketing tens of thousands in profit.... is that any different than Upwork raking us over the coals at 10% for shotty services on a poorly programmed platform?

For ten percent we should at least have real customer service.

battershall-ramo
Community Guru

Do you not think there might be a correlation between all the spam/scam jobs appearing this month, and the tens of thousands of bitter, computer literate, people kicked off odesk the month before?

Just a thought.

@Ramon B wrote:

Do you not think there might be a correlation between all the spam/scam jobs appearing this month, and the tens of thousands of bitter, computer literate, people kicked off odesk the month before?

Just a thought.

Ramon,

It has crossed my mind that there is a correlation. Not only those kicked off but those mad about the new system and limiting their amount of jobs. Scary thought thought, but I would not put anything past people when they are mad. 

Not only that there are websites out there that tell you how to post lots of jobs on Odesk to reduce your competition.

Post jobs until your competition has wasted their connects. Then you have a better chance of getting hired.  

... and dozens of oyher things you can do.

These are some very worrying points. I hope that none of these are becoming a trend here.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----

very true, It wasted a lot time of mine. I am quite despointed.

re: "Post jobs until your competition has wasted their connects. Then you have a better chance of getting hired."

This kind of thing represents a very sick mentality.

The degree to which people use computers and are interconnected via the Internet has outpaced our ability to deal with the ethical implications these technological changes have brought about.

There are people who struggle with this concept (and I don't think this is restricted to one particular demographic or nationality):

If you do something wrong to people online, it's still wrong.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean that it's okay.

ODesk is not a video game, in which any button you can push is fair game to kill the monsters. I think some people using oDesk are too stupid to realize this. ODesk is a technological tool for connecting clients with contractors. The fact that this is accomplished via a webite does not make unethical behavior "fair game."

It would be wrong to call people up on the phone and invite them to do a job that doesn't exist, and it's wrong to do it on oDesk, regardless of what the buttons or oDesk interface allows you to do.

What is wrong with these people?

@Jean S wrote:

Post jobs until your competition has wasted their connects. Then you have a better chance of getting hired.  

Not really. If everyone are following the same practice then they won't be able to distinguish fake jobs, as well. In the end everyone are sc***d. Whoever might think he/she is having benefit from this is stupid as hell.

Hi Suzanne,

I'll forward the info to our team so they can figure out how to best catch and remove these job posts.

@Garnor, Thank you.

@Preson, It surely is a sick person who would do this, but Ramon had a point. Enough people get mad and there is a sick mindset out there to get even if they don't get their own way.

It is sad that hackers, crackers etc, don't get there are real people on the other end they are hurting.

dogpa

Absolutely! Elance did that and now Odesk has turned into the same thing. They charge so fake jobs make you buy more...total scam.

I have suddenly seen many good jobs since the change...no company names or url's...hmm...

So far about a dozen apps all canceled...and no credits refund either!

"All fake jobs" defined Elance and now apparently defines this thing that killed Odesk!

How about only US clients and only US workers? If they made that way it would work and we'd make money and the clients would actually be happy...go figure.

So far there is no evidence that Upwork has not destroyed this place and cemented in everyones' mind that this whole industry is a scam. Remember Vworker? Worked great and was killed by Odesk who never did get all jobs and old data moved. **edited for Community Guidelines**

All of the press was about how big they'd get and how much money they'd make...not a word about a better experience or better jobs or interface or...well they made their point I guess.

Here is something funny...they put Upwork in the spell checker but not Elance or Odesk! LOL! I have to laugh...or I'd cry.

jnlanda
Ace Contributor

@Don H wrote:

How about only US clients and only US workers? If they made that way it would work and we'd make money and the clients would actually be happy...go figure.

I know this is only a small section of your post, but really? So by this point, you're saying that only clients/freelancers from the US are legitimate. As a legitimate freelancer from Canada, not cool! If we are not based out of the US, that means we are scammers? I don't think so! There are plenty of real clients and freelancers from all over the world, who would not appreciate work opportunities being taken away from them. 🙂

The freelancers out side of US are also working same like US freelancers .Most of the clients are working with people out side of US because they cant hire a freelancer for 20 to 40 $ /h.So now its  your choice to call them cheap clients or not .As you mentioned (pakistani freelancers ) then i will like to say that ..... they are not spamming but those who are posting fake jobs ( 80% US clients on odesk) .

Its a worldwide flatform so you will include people outside of US. 😛

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"

This appears to be a somewhat  common insular American mindset. From what I've seen, Americans are often fairly parochial. Of course, its also suggesting that nobody outside America has a high standard of life - all a little condescending.

dogpa

Another month and not one job I applied to has hired ANYONE. It appeas that Upwork is fully non-functioning. Out of a dozen jobs, all are fake?

What good is a job board that has only fake posts and not any real jobs?

If a job says anything other than "expert" for 2$ an hour it is fake. This is useless.

Elance was a full on scam and exactly the same. Now that you broke this by using credits...which destroyed Elance with fake jobs, you've done the same stupid thing here.

We need a job board not that is real and works.

Do something about the scams...if you can...LOL!

**edited for Community Guidelines**

You broke it and obviously cannot fix it and you just keep changing names and acting like nothing but a shell game. Vworker was great before you destroyed it.

Do something already!

I have just seen this morning a client with a job open; he has opened 34 jobs and hired nobody !!! Nobody can say that Upwork can not see that....it is a really easy thing to check

@Olivier P wrote:

I have just seen this morning a client with a job open; he has opened 34 jobs and hired nobody !!! Nobody can say that Upwork can not see that....it is a really easy thing to check

Oliver is you see jobs like that flag them. Report them do whatever you have to if they look scammy to get them off the board.

Unfortunately anywhere there is money to be made there is going to be those who scam, and of course a lot of people unhappy with changes so of course anything is possible when someone is mad about things.

yes i dit it . i flag it but i am not sure upwork do something with the flags

Olivier. I am sure they do. All the tickets/issues I have raised with CS ( so far) have been sucessfully resolved 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS