cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All of my project files are over 5MB, how do I upload them

Highlighted
George J Member Since: Jul 1, 2016
1 of 22

Hello I'm new to Upwork and am trying to complete my profile. I'm a motion graphics designer and most of my work are .mov files which are at least 150 mbs or larger. I have tried uploadeing these files from several different browsers and keep getting the error message

"Can't upload image

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 22

Hi George,

You can't use the Vimeo link in your profile or include it in your Portfolio samples, which are limited to 5 mb each. You can include it in your proposals or in direct communication with prospective clients, as example of your previous work and skills.

Highlighted
Debbie K Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
3 of 22

I'm sorry, but is rather unfortunate for those of us who work on larger projects. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 22

That 5MB file size doesn't just apply to uploading portfolio pieces, it also applies to attaching samples to your proposal. Aside from videos and other such large sized files, that can also affect Microsoft Office files. Do a 9 slide presentation with animation in PowerPoint and it becomes larger then 5MB.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 22

With animation, video editing, and even data visualization being growth markets for @Upwork, and given the Enterprise recruiters' reliance on portfolios, perhaps it is time for the company to rethink its portfolio allocation, for video/motion graphics workers if no one else. Resolution sells, and compression does not meet the needs of many contractors. If I were king of Upwork, I would be building out infrastructure to meet market demands, not pinching megabytes.

Best to all,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 22

This discussion strikes me as very silly.

I don't know why any professional dealing with large files would even think about using Upwork as a way of submitting files.

I use my own means for file transfer (such as FTP) and don't have to worry about or think about Upwork's restrictions with regards to file types and file sizes.

Upwork is a freelance work website. It isn't a file transfer mechanism. I assume that I would run into troubles, whether it is restrictions or file corruption or performance limitations, if I were to use Upwork to submit large files.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Laura M Member Since: Mar 8, 2016
7 of 22

This isn't a matter of trying to transfer completed files or to submit them. It's about how to set up portfolio samples if you're a video or animation artist or the like. Most portfolio samples in these kind of fields are either too large, not supported, or both. 

And to (hopefully) add something slightly constructive, I have occasionally used a static image (or even a tiny portion) as a 'teaser' with a good description and then provided links (okay at the interview stage) to larger or not supported files. That's not a great solution, but it does work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
8 of 22

Laura wrote: "This isn't a matter of trying to transfer completed files or to submit them. It's about how to set up portfolio samples if you're a video or animation artist or the like. Most portfolio samples in these kinds of fields are either too large, not supported, or both." 

To which I add you can't even attach PoS material for heaven' sake. 

The size limit is utterly ludicrous -

Said by someone who only rarely has to deal with this ... and pity those who face it whenever placing a bid let alone build a portfolio.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Laura M Member Since: Mar 8, 2016
9 of 22

On the upside, it's good work and if you can do it well you'll probably be busy and well-paid Smiley Happy

*runs off to practice some more animation stuffes*

Debbie K Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
10 of 22

I'm not quite sure where my initial post is now, I can't locate it. My point isn't related at all to using Upwork as a file transfer site, goodness knows, there are plenty of great sites for that.

I believe several other members are saying the same thing as me, it's an issue for some of us to post portfolio items (I tried to upload a pdf (saved in reduced file size mode) which was just under 20 mb, not knowing the limit was 5, as well as other items.

Different question: If there is important information missing from the job description, can we request more? Or, do people just leap "blindly" and hope the job can be accomplished? Is there an opportunity for Q & A once you've given a bid, or are you committed then if they accept it?

Thanks so much, I'm the newbie!!

Debbie

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS