Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All our profiles can be checked by anybody outside of Upwork

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
11 of 40

Personally, I don't see what the harm is in someone seeing our profile. The only exception to this is, I feel that how much I make per client should be hidden. It's no one's business how much I made with XYZ client, except mine and that clients. It should not be visible to anyone who stumbles across my profile, nor should it be visible to future clients. That information is between me and the specific client that I worked with. No one else.

That said...

"If you really want to keep something private, put it on your profile page and try applying to lots of jobs during the past week. Then you can be sure nobody will look at it." - said Preston

That made me LOL!

kajteks
Kajtek S Member Since: Sep 11, 2015
12 of 40

That's a little harsh Preston. I was offended by your response, and it wasn't even to me, or to Margarete, or was it?
If you intended to lecture someone else, then you should post it somewhere else and not use it as a response here.

Margarete is obviously concerned about privacy. Instead of offering her comfort, an invitation to a private chat perhaps to voice your "professional" point of view, you chose to insult and humiliate... in public.

Show this discussion to your HR please and ask them for a more appropriate response.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 40

Show this discussion to your HR please and ask them for a more appropriate response.

The whole point of being a freelancer (the "free" in "freelancer stands for something) is so we never, ever, have do battle with entities such as a "HR person" ever again.

kajteks
Kajtek S Member Since: Sep 11, 2015
14 of 40

I made a mistake. I thought you and preston are from Upwork. So, that (partially) explains the attitude.

The whole point of being a freelancer (the "free" in "freelancer stands for something) is so we never, ever, have do battle with entities such as a "HR person" ever again.

This also tells me that you most likely did not miss out on your professional behaviour training while you were employed, but rather rebel against its practice.

I see that though. It's human nature to rebel, regardless if they're educated or not. I am sorry Upwork.

crhysconsulting
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
15 of 40

Well said, Preston. 

It still amazes me that people think their info is completely private on the internet. It simply is not, even with all the "settings". 

bearcatnat
Ace Contributor
Natalie B Member Since: Sep 1, 2015
16 of 40

Thanks for giving the steps to change our privacy settings, Petra. I'm finding there a lot of things that are hard to find here at Upwork. It's not the most user-friendly site, to say the least! For pure purposes of reducing spam, I prefer not to have my profile searchable by Google. I've recently been adding my resume to some job boards like Monster, and most of the "potential job" calls/emails I get are pure junk!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 40

I was kinda surprised this forum is public, but it's the Internet man. There are no victims. Just volunteers. All you can do is never post again and even then, you can't escape the Internets.

d_lidwell
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
18 of 40

To be honest, I wasn't too surprised that this forum wasn't private. I noticed a few times this week that I was able to read the posts, but my name wasn't at the top left corner of the screen, and I had to sign in to be able to post. Granted, as soon as I clicked a "reply" button, I was auto-logged in lol.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
19 of 40

You will get use to Preston. He is a bit warped at times Smiley Tongue I don't know when he is serious or joking once in awhile, but you get use to him. He is blunt and to the point that is for sure.

He does have a point. If you want private you can set your profile to private, but if you want to work as a freelancer you don't want to set yourself private. You will never be invited to a job on here if you set your profile to private. You do have the option as explained before if you don't want it public to set it to be viewed on Upwork only, but if people are real concerned about privacy they shouldn't post on the Internet.

There is no such thing as privacy on the Internet.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
20 of 40

I've been aware that our Forum posts and Profile data are both indexed by Google's spiders. While we don't have that option to turn of Forum indexing on an invididual basis, we can do that with our Profiles.

I'm a bit more of a privacy nut then some, and just recently learned that I'm not the only person that hates FB. Well, learn something new every day.

On the other hand, every single time I post here on the Forums, I'm aware, that like most any place on the internet, it will end up out "in the wild" eventually. So I don't share personal information here. I do my best to maintain a professional voice and demeaner in my posts, and in my Profile. Same thing on my on single public, necessry presence on Facebook, my professional website, and my Google+ page. I even trimmed down my Devient Art Journal a year ago.

If you plan on posting something that would be inapproprite for a corporate intranet (ie corporate internal website), then it's probably not approprite for any area of Upwork either.

And if it really bothers you that earnings are being indexed by Google (I wish they would just nix that on our Profiles all together), I don't see the harm in turning off Google on your Profile. I've had it turned off before, and it hasn't seemed to make any difference.

Can anyone in this thread report a specific lack of job opportunities because your Profile isn't being indexed? I'd be curious to see if any has anything like that to report.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS