Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All our profiles can be checked by anybody outside of Upwork

This widget could not be displayed.
21 of 40

Petra's explanation of the settings that were not easy to find was really helpful for me, maybe for other users as well. This was my mistake, but I was not aware of this privacy changes when I migrated my profile from Elance to Upwork where my settings were different. 

Again, my concern was that identy thiefs can be attracted and can misuse the sensitive data in our accounts. Those of us who have ever experienced this may understand my concern. Nothing is 100% safe at least the internet but if the door of your house is open it is easier for thiefs to steal something. For me it is ok if the members of the community can read my posts but I dislike that everybody from outside can read my posts and have a look at my profile. 

And last, I think trying to trivialize another member of  the community is not a good style. Remark: This is not addressed to anybody personally, however, it has happened within this community several times to different members of the group by responding to concerns in a sarcastical way.

tasamil
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
22 of 40

Your question was legit because there are forums that are private, including one on Upwork itself.

It is called  the top-rated forum and once when you become top-rated member (if you aren't already) you will see it on the left-hand side below tab ' Community Discussions.' 

<---

Discussions that are there are not easily accessible to public-so, yes-they do have forums like that on Upwork as well. Although, I am sure you are not missing much by not having access to itSmiley Wink And anyway, it seems like they redirected a lot of traffic in this direction...

23 of 40

Public discussions can influence the company's ranking in search engines but can harm reputation if there are a lot of negative postings.

tasamil
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
24 of 40

Yes, I think they are quite aware of that ↑lol. But nothing can harm reputation as giving people the real reasons to be dissatisfied. If negative posts are genuine,  about real technical issues and are legit, you may look at it as the 'negative 'posts and /or posters are doing them a favor by preforming free QA on their site. Heaven knows I often feel like that! Although, I don't think they share that perceptionSmiley Wink

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 40

With all du respect, how could an identity thief misuse sensitive data in your account by reading a forum post that just shows your surname as M?  Unless you have your profile public and have your full address, full surname, full date of birth plastered all over your overview I don't thinks your forum posts are putting you in any danger from identity theft.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
26 of 40

@Margarete M wrote:

Again, my concern was that identy thiefs can be attracted and can misuse the sensitive data in our accounts. Those of us who have ever experienced this may understand my concern. Nothing is 100% safe at least the internet but if the door of your house is open it is easier for thiefs to steal something. For me it is ok if the members of the community can read my posts but I dislike that everybody from outside can read my posts and have a look at my profile. 

Margarete,

I have had my personal information compromised almost more times than I can count. Entities involved included Yahoo! (no surprise there), Facebook, Gmail, Amazon, eBay, PayPal, and my credit union account (twice). I've had two domain names hijacked. My credit union account would have been drained if not for the thief's being greedy enough to try to withdraw more than I had. A second attack on my debit card came not from the Internet, but from riding a pubic bus, and having my card information swiped in-pocket by an RF reader. Another came because I ordered a theater ticket by telephone, and the ticket agent subsequently used my card for another sale.

So here I am, fully cognizant of the risks of my personal data being compromised by using the 'net—or riding a bus, or carrying my wallet in the wrong pocket, or buying a theater ticket—and I still conduct a fairly public professional and personal life online, weighing each potential risk against each potential benefit. If I don't like the trade-off for service X, I don't use it. If service Y's benefits, and my choice of how to participate in it, seem to outweigh risk, I use it.

Upwork has its own reasons for making this, that, or the other service public or "private." Thay have made their decisions for their own benefit, which incudes our benefit as at least an ancillary component. Barring some upheaval in 'net security, those decisions are unlikely to change. We must make the best of them.

Best,

Michael

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
27 of 40

But there is still no reason to attack a freelancer for voicing concerns about privacy. Preston was condescending and his post read as if he was a member of the Upwork team.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
28 of 40

@Nichola L wrote:

But there is still no reason to attack a freelancer for voicing concerns about privacy. Preston was condescending and his post read as if he was a member of the Upwork team.

I did not or do I now see anything that looks like he was posting as a member of the Upwork team.

He was being snarky, which Preston does, but I don't think he was being condescending. I think he was stating a fact.

Not to say Preston has not at other times sounded like he worked for Upwork but this is one of the times it was coming from Preston being Preston...

I don't think he was trying to be rude just stating a point if you don't want something private on the Internet then you shouldn't be on the Internet.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
29 of 40

I do not  think the OP is in the slightest bit naive about the Internet. I think she was worried about how her information was being used by Upwork and she has a point. It is not common knowledge that the Upwork forum is common fare on the internet.

30 of 40

It is obvious that some members of this group are appointed or self-appointed advocates for Upwork. Why not? This is a community organized by Upwork. As long as those persons do not behave naughty this is ok and common practice. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS