Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All our profiles can be checked by anybody outside of Upwork

This widget could not be displayed.
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
31 of 40

Another post harvested for the collective.

d62aea37
Ace Contributor
Dana G Member Since: Mar 21, 2016
32 of 40

I almost hate to step into this conversation that somewhere along the line took quite a turn from what I was initially interested in.  Nonetheless, can I ask a slightly different version of the question?  This seems to be the right group to ask.

I WANT my profile (https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~013d58dbfabe64aa24?viewMode=1) to be public, so that people who are not on Upwork can look at my profile and decide whether or not they want to log onto UpWork to hire me.  Plus, I want to link to it on other external profiles (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.).

On my SETTINGS page, my profile visibility is indeed set to PUBLIC.  But when I check the profile in private mode (i.e., not logged on), I get the following error:  "This Upwork Freelancer's profile is either private, restricted or blocked!"

I got a long explanation about why this is the case from "Mabel" at customer support, which I will paste below.  In a nutshell, it says that UpWork makes some profiles public, some not.  Tough. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I then went and tested several other profiles using the private browser setting and every single one of them came up just fine. 

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?  Is there just someting wrong with my profile/settings?  Do I need to have a certain rating or number of reviews?  Is there ANY explanation or is it just completely random, who gets an actually public profile and who does not.

Also, is this any whay to run a company?  I don't get it. 

Here's **Edited for Community Guidelines**

d62aea37
Ace Contributor
33 of 40

And also, there's this.  It's an old post, but why would it still be up if it's now the case that some of us are prevented from having actually public profiles?

https://www.upwork.com/blog/2011/11/five-other-places-profile/

And finally, why would there be a PUBLIC option in the settings if this didn't make everyone's profile actualy public?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
34 of 40

Seth, I'm speculating, but I think it's possible that your profile doesn't qualify to be shown publicly because you don't have enough job history. When I look at your profile, I see only two completed jobs and no JSS--I'm pretty sure that JSS is an element in determining whose profile is visible.

d62aea37
Ace Contributor
35 of 40

Thanks, Tiffany.  That does seem like the most logical explanation.  And if that's the case, I can certainly understand the reasoning there. 

What's frustrating is that no one at UpWork will confirm/deny or offer any explanation whatsoever as to what UpWork's policy is on this.  It seems like it would be a simple enough thing to elucidate for people -- why not just be straightforward about it?

Anyway, I'll continue to get my profile fully developed and hope that takes care of the problem... 

Thank you for your quick response!

Seth

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
36 of 40

Hi Seth,

I suggest you check this thread and my most recent replies on it. Google Ads TOS prohibits us from publicly displaying profiles with certain keywords. Your profile contains some of those keywords. We are currently working on a more permanent solution for this issue. Meanwhile, in order for the profile to be shown publicly, those keywords would have to be removed.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
37 of 40

I have just started reading the Google Ads ToS. It's eye-crossing stuff. But some of the things that are prohibited, makes me think that Google must be very short of moderators.

d62aea37
Ace Contributor
38 of 40

Just to close the loop, as suggested by two people on this thread (thank you!) I went into my profile and deleted the following words:  "application essays" and "blog post."  One or both of these must have done the trick as my profile is now visible to the outside world (i.e., those not logged into UpWork). 

Many thanks for your help.

Now all we have to do is get them to allow us vanity addresses (e.g., upwork.com/sethdgilmore).  Guess we'll leave that battle for another day.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
39 of 40

Thank you for updating us, Seth. I am glad it worked!

~ Valeria
Upwork
d62aea37
Ace Contributor
40 of 40

FYI, I just heard some good news from UpWork: 

>>> Many freelancers asked for the vanity URL and we are going to launch it for freelancer plus members tomorrow (Monday). The URL will be www.upwork.com/fl/{editable}

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS