cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All the Talk on the New Policies and Impacting Contracts Earned

Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
1 of 10
I've been reading quite a bit on the new policies that this platform is implementing, and I'm with everyone else--it is certainly ruining opportunities for everyone. One question I'd like to ask: "Who is getting jobs here anymore"? I finally landed a new job after searching for weeks, when before I was so loaded with work I was having to go 7 days a week 8 hours a day to keep up. These changes at this platform are god awful. Is there anyway at all that we can overcome the obstacles Odesk has now created, for thousands of contractors, I'm sure? When you're dealing with your application being hidden, or you are constantly competing with "money back guarantees," then it is nearly impossible to gain new chances at work. I've felt it for quite some time when seeking out new opportunities and right now I don't really know what I'm going to do. I still have ongoing work but what when there is a lull? I know its worrisome to many. It sure would be nice if we could all sign a petition to get these new changes of Odesk just removed. I wonder if something like that is even possible? Just thoughts from another frustrated (and even angry) contractor of Odesk.
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 10
Misty, The change does not affect me as I have only 2 clients and have had the same for quite some time, but it worries me to see Odesk making decisions for the contractors by providing a guarantee. They had a policy in place for disputes on hours, and the clients had a chance to review hours and even limit them so I am not sure why they have decided to go with the guarantee and not protect the contractor as well as the client.s They have opened up a can of worms, allowing for a client to decide they want their money back without some other structure for arbitration in place to protect the contractor. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up with a lawsuit from a contractor over making decisions for a contractor and the contractor losing money. The other side of the coin is when we signed up on Odesk we agreed to their terms of service, which once we do we are at their mercy for whatever changes they make. The only way to really change that is to work without Odesk or appeal to their sense of fairness and have them see this was a bad implementation without protection for both sides.
Community Guru
3 of 10
Though we are under their TOS, did they or do they have anything within that which states they can make changes any time they feel like it and any or all contractors have to abide by those new changes? If they don't then that is certainly grounds for a Civil suit? Especially if these implementations are creating bad experiences, loss of opportunity, and loss of finances as well. I might check that out and see if there is anything stated there. I can't remember.
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
4 of 10
[quote=Misty Keith]Though we are under their TOS, did they or do they have anything within that which states they can make changes any time they feel like it and any or all contractors have to abide by those new changes? [/quote] This Agreement includes and hereby incorporates by reference the agreements and polices referred to herein or linked from the URL [www.odesk.com/info/terms/], as such agreements and policies may be modified by oDesk from time to time in its sole discretion.
Community Guru
5 of 10
Who would have thought that they would implement the measures they have which are so outrageously stupid? Many of these are totally irresponsible of them, and lack respect for contractors who utilize this platform too. For them to blatantly change their policies and to instate programs that are obviously non-helpful to most is beyond my own thinking. I hate almost all the new features, techniques that they have placed. They are causing nothing but hardship for many. When are you going to listen Odesk administration? These new changes are not helping you but really running good contractors off, and hurting those who stay. Pathetic!
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 10
Apparently they will listen, when they are introducing something new like their new bronze/silver/gold club, and even have an oDesk rep on that thread checking everyone's happy. But on the two subjects Misty mentions, there's been not one squeak from oDesk despite the constant and consistent complaints from both freelancers and clients. And they're very keen to have people give their good news stories on their blog. I'm afraid oDesk is a bit like the archetypal mother-in-law .... selective hearing.
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
7 of 10
Maybe some people from eLance got themselves hired by oDesk and tanked the company so it would be an easy buy out Smiley Wink haha ... wouldn't surprise me. The changes have been embarrassing to say the least. oDesk has repositioned itself as THE bottom end of the pay scale freelance sites. eLance is rumored to be on top of all the mass appeal platforms. Coincidence that all the latest changes have been geared to the lower end of the market? Probably not. They won't listen. Only if it threatens the lower end market, where they are trying to find the sweet spot of lowest pay contractors and still remain profitable. As it seems support is now a thing of the past unless you are on top of the pile according to their algorithms... which I am no longer a member of. oDesk has basically put my profile at the bottom of the crap pile
Phyllis Filomena K Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
8 of 10

This may mean starvation for me.... I'm bewildered I'm ready to pay Outsource . com and anyone else you could recommend before I lose my shirt! 

9 of 10

In my opinion as a converting elancer in EXCELLENT standing for years I am not only upset but furious! 

I used to be able to just hit withdraw and havew it go into my Paypal in 15 minutes. My clients are pissed and so am I! Now, I get to wait a week to be able to withdraw it but I have to also wait 5 days PER FREAKING CLIENT yes PER CLIENT for 5 days from the day that EACH CLIENT releases funds. 

OK i'm about to move and support myself again solely like this, like I did before and NOW I have to re calculate EVERYTHING.

I'm confused and incensed at the same time,,,, I will NEVER forgive e lance for coming to thei garbage, They I'm sure changed the name so that us Elancers wouldn't figure out it was O Desk. I DIDNT GO WITH O DESK TO BEGIN WITH BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD TO WAIT THAT LONG FOR MONEY! 

I am beyond myself right now really! Woman Sad

10 of 10

Unfortunatly i have to go find a part time job because of this nonsense as well as how they hold up payment to the freelancer. They are looking after themselves not us I miss ELance Woman Sad

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS