cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow links to active contracts in portolio

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 5

Recently, I attempted to create a new profile portfolio item for a site I worked on through Upwork, after obtaining the client's permission. It was in review for a few days, then disappeared. I contacted CS and was informed that open contracts cannot be used in the portfolio. In my case, the contract is open so that the client can request additional work conveniently. It's a little inconsistent on the part of Upwork to stress the importance of long-term clients by factoring it into Job Success, yet prevent freelancers from highlighting long-term clients in their portfolio, even with client approval for featuring their site in the portfolio.

2 of 5

John,

Why don’t you include the link as part of your portfolio without linking it to the job in progress?

When you finish the project just modify the portfolio item.    

Community Guru
3 of 5

@Aleksandra K wrote:

John,

Why don’t you include the link as part of your portfolio without linking it to the job in progress?

When you finish the project just modify the portfolio item.    

Aleksandra, if CS had suggested this to me first, instead of simply removing the item from my portfolio, after I went to the trouble of taking a screenshot, resizing it, and writing a description, I might have done so. Also, this the begs the question of why they allowed me to select the link to the contract from a dropdown list, if I wasn't allowed to use the link. All the CS rep I had a chat with would say was,

'A contract must be completed first so you can add it in your portfolio successfully.'

But my main point remains, and that is, what harm does this do if the client approves it? 

4 of 5

John,

Trying to get answers from UpWork has proven to be mission impossible. All you can do is play with the cards you have and try to find ways to make the system work in your favour. There are a lot of things on this platform that make no sense, this being one of them, so I wouldn’t expect any reasonable explanation.

Community Guru
5 of 5

Here's an update, I looked at my Portfolio this morning, and lo & behold, the Portfolio item for the active contract I referred to in my original post has been restored by Upwork, but with a link to a closed contract with the same client for the same site, rather than the active contract. So I commend Upwork for making this happen. Cat Very Happy