🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Allowed to use external links in messaging?
Page options
lancetamashiro
Community Member

Allowed to use external links in messaging?

Hello,

I tried to do a search, but was unable to find an answer so I apologize if this has been answered.

My question is: am I allowed to send potential clients my Skype address, Calendly.com scheduling link, or Zoom room information in order to get full requirements for a project?

I am referring to the case, where I submitted a proposal and they then started the interview process. Is this allowed on UpWork?

Thank you so much.

Lance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
michael_skaggs
Community Member

You can communicate with clients however you like. Where Upwork has an issue is if you attempt to get paid off of the platform. That cost you your account. (Refer to section 7.1 of the user agreement for information about the non-circumvention period).

While you can conduct your business however you see fit within those guidelines, you do need to be careful when communicating through other means, as that might make it harder to prove your case if there's ever a dispute. Skype seems to be a popular method for communcation, while Hangouts is almost always a scammer trying to pull a fast one on you.

Basically, use your head and keep the actual contracting and payment part of the job on Upwork, and you should be fine.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
michael_skaggs
Community Member

You can communicate with clients however you like. Where Upwork has an issue is if you attempt to get paid off of the platform. That cost you your account. (Refer to section 7.1 of the user agreement for information about the non-circumvention period).

While you can conduct your business however you see fit within those guidelines, you do need to be careful when communicating through other means, as that might make it harder to prove your case if there's ever a dispute. Skype seems to be a popular method for communcation, while Hangouts is almost always a scammer trying to pull a fast one on you.

Basically, use your head and keep the actual contracting and payment part of the job on Upwork, and you should be fine.

Thank you Michael!

I appreciate your response and wisdom.

Best wishes,

Lance

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members