🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Am I able to send a separate agreement to the...
Page options
e_murray_vargas
Community Member

Am I able to send a separate agreement to the client?

I am new to this community and was just offered my first offer to a proposal. I am a genealogist and am wondering if I am allowed to send me own client/researcher agreement for the client to sign? or is this not permitted on Upwork? 

If this is permitted, as freelancers, do you always send separate coient agreements?  

Again, I am new to this site and I want to make sure that I do not break any rules. Thank you in advance,

Elizabeth

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Elizabeth M wrote:

I am new to this community and was just offered my first offer to a proposal. I am a genealogist and am wondering if I am allowed to send me own client/researcher agreement for the client to sign?

You can, but Upwork will not enforce anything that is in it.

Elizabeth M wrote:

If this is permitted, as freelancers, do you always send separate coient agreements?  

Personally I don't, no. Never once in 250+ contracts, mainly because any agreement is worth my ability to enforce it, so in absence of thousands of Dollars for lawyers, any such agreement would be worth the paper it is('nt) written on.

Thank you for your reply. I greatly appreciate it. The agreement is not for legal purposes. It it really for the client to have a clear understanding and expectation of the services to ensure their satisfaction.

Spelling things out clearly for your client can never hurt. But as Petra said, if things go south, enforcing that understanding will be difficult at best.

I had a similar case a while back where I spelled out exactly what to expect on both sides to make sure they were happy. Everything went perfectly and since they released the payment, I assumed per our conversation that there were no issues. They still dinged me on feedback. Lesson learned.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths