🐈 Community
gao-richard

Am I allowed to work for people in the US if I don't live in the US?

I checked out the taxes section and one of the parts says: 

I certify, under penalties of perjury, that:

1. the services performed under this Upwork account will not be performed in the U.S. and
  2. the income related to this Upwork account will not be effectively connected with the conduct of a U.S. trade or business.

Does that mean I am not allowed to serve US clients? Or does it mean something else?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Or does it mean something else?"

If you want to know your tax liabilities for certain, you should check with a tax professional.

But here is what the IRS says on their website:

"As a general rule, wages earned by nonresident aliens for services performed outside of the United States for any employer are foreign source income and therefore are not subject to reporting and withholding of U.S. federal income tax."

So... Richard... You live in Canada. You are a "nonresident alien." You are not going to be doing the work in the U.S. You are going to be sitting at a computer in Canada. So even though you may be working for a client located in the U.S., you are not obligated to pay U.S. taxes. And you ARE allowed to work for such clients.

But when it comes to tax law, don't take my word for it. Consult a local tax professional.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter

re: "Am I allowed to work for people in the US if I don't live in the US?"

Yes.

re: "Or does it mean something else?"

If you want to know your tax liabilities for certain, you should check with a tax professional.

But here is what the IRS says on their website:

"As a general rule, wages earned by nonresident aliens for services performed outside of the United States for any employer are foreign source income and therefore are not subject to reporting and withholding of U.S. federal income tax."

So... Richard... You live in Canada. You are a "nonresident alien." You are not going to be doing the work in the U.S. You are going to be sitting at a computer in Canada. So even though you may be working for a client located in the U.S., you are not obligated to pay U.S. taxes. And you ARE allowed to work for such clients.

But when it comes to tax law, don't take my word for it. Consult a local tax professional.

Thanks for clarifying.