Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Am I being charged money to use this site or is Upwork taking out a precentage with every job I do?

Active Member
Trever B Member Since: Sep 19, 2019
1 of 11

I am brand new to this site so I am praying that I didn't mess this up.  I selected a freelancers regular account but is there a charge that I have to pay just to use the website?  Please let me know.

To Every problem there is a solution, you just need to know where to find it.
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Trevor if you go into your settings it should say, under membership, either Freelancer Basic or Freelancer Plus.  

 

FP+ is billed at $14.99 per month.  Basic is free for the account.

 

You do have to buy connects to submit a proposal.  They costs $0.15 each and jobs cost either 2,4 or 6, so basically figure $0.90 per job.  I believe you get 20 free connects for signing up but that is a one time thing.

 

So it will cost you some money to send proposals.

Active Member
Trever B Member Since: Sep 19, 2019
3 of 11

Thank you, Mark F.  I went to settings and I can't find the membership area that you were talking about.  I believe I only went for the free as I am only looking for work not  to submit a proposal.

To Every problem there is a solution, you just need to know where to find it.
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
4 of 11

Trever B wrote:

Thank you, Mark F.  I went to settings and I can't find the membership area that you were talking about.  I believe I only went for the free as I am only looking for work not  to submit a proposal.


Yeah, so there are two ways you find work here...basically.

 

One, a client is looking for someone to do a project and they will send you an invite.  You have to understand that you are one among many people who do what you do so waiting for an invite might not work out well.  I think I have only received two in a year that were worth pursuing (many very experienced FL's survive on invites alone I gather).

 

Two, you look through jobs and send in a proposal.  This is really not much more than answering what they want with how you would do it.  My basic recommendation is write a concise but strong pitch for why you are going to do a great job for the client.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 11

Trever B wrote:

Thank you, Mark F.  I went to settings and I can't find the membership area that you were talking about.  I believe I only went for the free as I am only looking for work not  to submit a proposal.


Trever, you do understand that this is a site for freelancers to connect with clients, right? Upwork is not a job board. In order to "look for work", you have to submit proposals (or be invited by potential clients).

Active Member
Trever B Member Since: Sep 19, 2019
6 of 11

oops sorry I found it.  I am usually better when it comes to finding things on a new website.  Thank you again for your help, Mark F.  If I may ask what are the connects?  

To Every problem there is a solution, you just need to know where to find it.
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
7 of 11

Trever B wrote:

oops sorry I found it.  I am usually better when it comes to finding things on a new website.  Thank you again for your help, Mark F.  If I may ask what are the connects?  


If you click on a job you will see  just under Submit Proposal button this:

Connects.png

So connects are like a virtual currency to make a proposal.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
8 of 11

Trever B wrote:

I am brand new to this site so I am praying that I didn't mess this up.  I selected a freelancers regular account but is there a charge that I have to pay just to use the website?  Please let me know.


-----------

There is no regular account. Are you referring to a Basic Upwork account? Those are free. You can upgrade to a Plus account which costs $X dollars each month and with that you get a few more "perks" But that will not get you a job anymore then a basic account will. 

 

The only thing you need to pay for is connects and each job you apply for costs anywhere from 2 to 6 connects to send a proposal to. You can buy as many connects as you want (as long as  you pay for them) Once you run out, you'll have to buy more.. 

 

Finally you will be charged a service fee of 20% of the first $500 dollars you earn then it goes down to 10% and 5% depending on the amount of payment for each client. That fee is taken out of your earnings when you get paid for completing a job. 

Community Leader
Noureldin Y Member Since: Sep 7, 2019
9 of 11
Kathy T wrote:

Trever B wrote:

I am brand new to this site so I am praying that I didn't mess this up.  I selected a freelancers regular account but is there a charge that I have to pay just to use the website?  Please let me know.


-----------

There is no regular account. Are you referring to a Basic Upwork account? Those are free. You can upgrade to a Plus account which costs $X dollars each month and with that you get a few more "perks" But that will not get you a job anymore then a basic account will. 

 

The only thing you need to pay for is connects and each job you apply for costs anywhere from 2 to 6 connects to send a proposal to. You can buy as many connects as you want (as long as  you pay for them) Once you run out, you'll have to buy more.. 

 

Finally you will be charged a service fee of 20% of the first $500 dollars you earn then it goes down to 10% and 5% depending on the amount of payment for each client. That fee is taken out of your earnings when you get paid for completing a job. 


20% from the first total of 500$ only or any job below 500$?


Marvelous.
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
10 of 11

Noureldin Y wrote:

20% from the first total of 500$ only or any job below 500$?


What Kathy T. explained applies when you are working with the same client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS