cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I being deceived?

Highlighted
Tanaka E Member Since: Apr 16, 2018
1 of 11
Hello. I have a question and i hope you can help me. I applied a job from singapore via upwork. 

The job description said it is a medical interpreter position in Tokyo. I applied it and the company recruiter invited me for a interview on 22th, 15pm in singapore time. However the recruiter didn't show up on scheduled time. She became unreachable at sudden. So I waited her till very late night. Finally she admitted she stood me up simply because she forgot the interview arrangement. I couldn't believe it first but I acted nicely and forgave her.

Later on we finally managed our first and last interview on 23th. She ordered me to ead dozens of medical readings before 28th. She also said she will prepare for me a script which never came true for a real. After that interview, she became unreachable again till 26th. Just last night on 27th, she said my job was cancelled. She said there were visa issues behind it. But the visa situation was not simply notified or written on job description. She said she would pay me 20USD in compensation for wasting my time.

Does this happen to everyone?  I feel I have been deceived. I felt the company didn't inform me possibility of cancellation beforehand so that they could hire Japanese locals cheaply. Can't feel convinced I only get 20USD of my hard work. What do you think?
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
2 of 11

Tanaka - Both a freelancer AND a client can cancel a job at any time. You're a newbie here so I have to ask you a few questions. 

1. Did this client offer you a contract here on Upwork?

2. If this was a fixed rate job, did the client have their account verified and did they fully fund escrow for the amount you quoted?

3. Did you do all that work BEFORE a contract was offered, or escrow funded?

If you did all that "hard" work and then was offered just $20, it sounds like escrow wasn't funded at all. In the future, do not start work, no matter what a client tells you and even if there's a deadline, until and unless escrow is fully funded. Also, before starting any job, make sure all information, details, questions, instructions and the materials needed to start working are supplied to you and that you understand all of that. (all of that is done in the interview stage, (active candidacy.)  

I don't know, (and I kind of doubt it) if the client will really give you any money. I also have never heard of visa issues concerning online client/freelancer work for hire.

So, if this client got all of your work, part of your work, or even just some of your work and she didn't have to pay anything, then most likely you've been scammed. If you've been scamed, then yes, this happens because you didn't use this site the right way to protect yourself.

3 of 11

Hi Kathy,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am new to upwork and I didn't really understand some of your questions very well, I hope I answered what you wanted to ask.

1. Did this client offier you a contract here on Upwork?

Not yet. I was willing to accept offer and I told her to present me offer first but she didn't. she just ordered me to read medical papers.

2. If this was a fixed rate job, did the client have their account verified and did they fully fund escrow for the amount you quoted?

It is a fix rate job. Strangely, it is still appearing on upwork. Amount was verrified. They didn't escrow me at all.

You see the job description doesnt say anything about visa. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Yes. 

I sent complain to the recuruiter last night. She rather sent me emotinal replies. Simply she said she didn't do anything wrong and she showed her most kindess to give me 20USD even though I won't get a job with her this time. I reported to upwork team. I don't know why the job offer is still online. 

4 of 11

Here are replies from the recuriter.

I don't know what to say. Does this even make any sense?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 11

@Tanaka E wrote:

I don't know what to say. Does this even make any sense?

Sure it makes sense.

Originally a party of 20 was supposed to travel to Japan, but 12 of them could not get a visa.

So now it is 8 people travelling there to attend something or the other. They don't speak Japanese, so they need an interpreter.

They hired a translator but are looking for a standby. Only you can know whether the compensation is agreeable with you or not.

Remember that either way, you'd have to be hired and paid via Upwork.

They have indeed hired one person on Upwork for the job, presumably the interpreter mentioned above.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
BEST ANSWER
6 of 11

Hi Tanaka. Welcome to Upwork.

I would make a distinction between effort required to _get_ the job and effort required to _do_ the job. In my line of work (which is different from yours) I sometimes have to put in a significant amount of effort before accepting a job, working out what the job involves and thinking about how to do it, so I can (a) check it's something I can do and want to do; (b) set a price, if it's fixed-price, and (c) persuade the client that I'm the right person for the job.

In your case, it seems to me that reading the material provided by the client should have been considered part of _doing_ the job, not _getting_ the job, so really you should not have done it until you'd been offered the job and accepted it.

It doesn't sound to me like you're being deceived. If the client doesn't hire you, she won't be getting any benefit from your unpaid work. And she's offering to pay you $20 for no additional work beyond what you've already done. (ETA: that's according to your first post.) There would be no reason for a scammer to do that. Considering that your stated hourly rate is only $5, $20 doesn't sound so little (though I have no idea how many hours you spent reading the material).

I think a large part of the problem here is that you've put a very low value on your time, so the recruiter hasn't valued your time either. It can be difficult to get started on Upwork, and I can understand the temptation to sell your time cheap or do work on spec in order to get your foot in the door. I've done that myself. But I've never set my stated hourly rate below $25, and I don't think you should do so either. Even $25 per hour is low for an expensive country like Japan. If the client can afford flights and hotels in Japan, they can afford to pay a lot more than $5 per hour for such an important and skilled service as interpreting.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 11

Richard W wrote: If the client can afford flights and hotels in Japan, they can afford to pay a lot more than $5 per hour for such an important and skilled service as interpreting.

The budget was $ 350...

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
8 of 11

@Petra R wrote:

Richard W wrote: If the client can afford flights and hotels in Japan, they can afford to pay a lot more than $5 per hour for such an important and skilled service as interpreting.

The budget was $ 350...

Ah, I didn't see that. That makes the offer of a measly $20 compensation (for Tanaka's wasted time) all the more insulting. Still, perhaps she would have been offered more if she'd set her hourly rate at a realistic level.

Tanaka, the client isn't obliged to pay you anything for that time, because you didn't have a contract. However, since she has enough scruples to offer you some compensation, perhaps it would be worth asking for a fairer amount. But bear in mind that to pay you anything at all she must give you a contract in Upwork.

Yanchao P Member Since: May 26, 2018
9 of 11

My suggestion : ignore that now,don;t waste time on that,it is no helpful.Just start to look for new projects. 

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
10 of 11

@Tanaka E wrote:

Hi Kathy,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am new to upwork and I didn't really understand some of your questions very well, I hope I answered what you wanted to ask.

1. Did this client offier you a contract here on Upwork?

Not yet. I was willing to accept offer and I told her to present me offer first but she didn't. she just ordered me to read medical papers.

If a client doesn't offer you a contract, then you don't have a job. A contract (offer) must be done on this site. If you have no contract, you don't do any work. As for the statement that the client ordered you to read medical papers. = NO one orders a freelancer to do anything. You are an independent contract offering your services. The client can either hire you (depending on what you h ave to offer) or not.

You could have replied, Hi XX I'll be glad to read those medical reports. Just click the hire button, and as soon as escrow is funded I can start working and have your job completed by XXX.

It is a fix rate job. Strangely, it is still appearing on upwork. Amount was verrified. They didn't escrow me at all.

Even after accepting a contract on this site, you still don't start work until escrow is FULLY funded for your proposal amount (or for whatever amount was agreed/negotiated between both of you.) NO full amount of funds in escrow no work no matter what the client may tell you or promise you.

The job is still appearing because the client hasn't closed it yet. The job will appear until it is closed (either by the client or freelancer, cancelled or expired.

You see the job description doesnt say anything about visa. 

Unfortunately the link to the job description is deleted. So I can't comment on anything concerning the actual description.

Yes. 

In the future, do not start work until a contract is offered on this site and escrow is FULLY funded either for the entire job or for each milestone as they come up. No escrow, no work. If escrow isn't funded. and of course if a freelancer doesn't have a contract they are opening themselves up to be scammed.

I sent complain to the recuruiter last night. She rather sent me emotinal replies. Simply she said she didn't do anything wrong and she showed her most kindess to give me 20USD even though I won't get a job with her this time. I reported to upwork team. I don't know why the job offer is still online. 

I don't think this client is a scammer because she did offer you compensation ($20) for your trouble. BUT, in order to get that $20 she has to offer you a contract. Then she can fund escrow for that amount. At which time, you can click on the submit work/request payment button and you'll get that payment. Do NOT accept a check, or payment to your bank or credit card. ALL financial transactions MUST be done on this site (as well as all offers/contracts).

I think both of you, had misunderstanding. Communication to iron out all details, terms, deadlines, information and questions should be done before a contract is presented and accepted.

I would advise, since you are new. to click on the question mark located at the top right of the home page, choose help and support and read all the information for each link so you'll know the correct procedures here. Then, so you don't get scammed, search for the word SCAM here  in the discussion forum and read all the posts relating to that.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS