Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I digging too much from Clients?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 14

Nassoro,

All you need to do with new or questionable clients who want to hire fixed-rate projects is do what I do:

Start with a small fixed-rate project to test them out.

You need to be clear that you (the contractor) are in charge of what ends up in a contract. Nobody can force you to agree to anything. You steer the ship.

If a new client wants me to do a $2000 project, I look at it and isolate the first chunk of the project and explain that we can do this part for $100, and if they like what I do, they can continue working with me, and if they don't like it, they don't have to continue working with me. No harm no foul. I even tell them they don't have to pay for it if they don't like it.

If the client accepts my work for the $100 and pays promptly, and doesn't ask for changes more than about 10 minute's worth off effort then we can continue. With a new fixed-price contract. (Not a new milestone.)

So the key here is to NOT do a fixed-price contract with a new or questionable client that is more than about an hour or two hours worth of work, and not more than about $100 to $150 worth.

You are testing the client to see whether they can appropriately use fixed-price contracts. Many can handle this. MANY CAN NOT. With those who can not, you can still work with them, but only using hourly contracts.

Ace Contributor
Nassoro C Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
12 of 14

@Preston H wrote:

Nassoro,

All you need to do with new or questionable clients who want to hire fixed-rate projects is do what I do:

Start with a small fixed-rate project to test them out.

You need to be clear that you (the contractor) are in charge of what ends up in a contract. Nobody can force you to agree to anything. You steer the ship.

If a new client wants me to do a $2000 project, I look at it and isolate the first chunk of the project and explain that we can do this part for $100, and if they like what I do, they can continue working with me, and if they don't like it, they don't have to continue working with me. No harm no foul. I even tell them they don't have to pay for it if they don't like it.

Hello Preston,

Thank you very much. I'd be willing even to take bank loan to buy your idea. I like it a lot.

Ace Contributor
Nassoro C Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
13 of 14

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Nassoro,

I do this too, so I don’t think what you are doing is weird. I usually even check their first review just to see if somebody was not happy with the client.

I think that your post can be misunderstood when read quickly, as it is a bit longer.

In my point of view for a non-native speaker who doesn’t use English very often, your English is pretty good Smiley Very Happy

Hello Aleksandra,

First, thank you for a compliment. We've our joke here when someone stuck somewhere while using English or make a very clear mistake  "these languages which came by ships are very problematic ..." and I also still remember my O-Level English teacher when he faces a lot of questions on how to exactly use article "a" and "the" in a sentence, he'd sometime ends telling students "listen kids, if you're not sure whether you'd use "a" or "the" just pronounce your sentence and listen to your voice. If it sounds pretty good, just use it otherwise, think for alternative. Anyway, it's no one's fault because majority of us started to use English as a language of instruction at the age of 13+ (O-Level) and bad enough, we only use it in a classroom and when a teacher is available!

On the other hand, I also agrees with you that my thread is too long and a reader may miss the point along the way.

Ace Contributor
Rodelito D Member Since: Feb 24, 2009
14 of 14

Hi Nassoro,

No you're not digging too much. I do that too which is also the reason why even I do see a job post I'm interested, I end up having my application late.

Anyway for this part,

@Nassoro C wrote:
However, today I came to one job post! As usual, after reviewing "About Client's" section, our dear Client don't have good reputation! And when I scrolled down the job post to see rating trends, OMG! It's like "An eye for an eye" game between Client and Freelancers who'd ever worked with this Client before! You see this Freelancer giving 2 Stars to Client and Client gives 1 Star to that Freelancer! You again see this Freelancer giving 3 Stars to the Client and Client in turn gives 2 Stars to that Freelancer! Very few among all had good terms between them! Then I questioned myself, are all these Freelancers bad performers or are less professional or our dear Client has a problem?!

If it's like a trend, I doubt that all those freelancers are bad performers. The common factor in this scenario is the client so I would say, those stars you see is a red light.

Don't worry about your english. You have written your point well.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS