cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Am I doing it right? (An urgent 3-question thread)

Cameron C Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
1 of 31

I'm a fairly new freelancer here at Upwork. I've only had one job so far and the way I work with my new job is kind of confusing.

I posted a proposal for an article writing job (I won't disclose the name because I might get in trouble and I like my job). My client asked me to sign a secrecy contract which prevents me from telling you guys about the job, all I can say is that it's article writing. It's a fixed price job at $20. At first, I thought it was a great deal but heres the thing:

"Is it normal to be paid $20 for 10 articles?" In my last job, I got paid $20 just by writing 8 with 1000 words max. But in fairness, he did state in his messages. But he also said that the average for the articles is 1500 words. However, it seems to that he's wrong. He's a nitpicky person about every detail so the article I made for him clocked in at 3400 words + HD pictures + a video he asked for. He wants the article to be great and 5 revisions had to be made (and he always refers to my work as "nice" and/or "good" that doesn't really help my self-esteem). I've spent more time revising it for him than I studied for my Midterms. So to make 9 more of these would probably suck the life out of me.

But that's the practical part of the problem.

"Is it normal that I'm working with him and it still says 'active candidacy'?" So does this mean I'm really not working for him yet? I've already finished 1/10 of the work I had to do and there's no milestone nor even a contract to make the work that I'm doing legit. I just want to make sure I'm gonna get paid. PS: I pass the work that I make in our messages.

The last question I want to ask is:

"Is it not allowed to ask for a raise? If not, may I ask my client for one?" This one is kind of self-explanatory.

Thanks in advance to whoever can help me out with this! I'm not putting my client to a bad light or anything (he's a cool guy). I just wanted answers to these questions I've had since Day 1 of accepting the job. 

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
2 of 31

Do you not have a contract open? If not, dont send him anything and say goodbye. Stop any work that you are doing. Period. It is not allowed to work for free without a contract in place.

You're being scammed in my opinion.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 31

Ashish, even with a contract, this is a client from hell. 50 cents for a 1500 word article with 5 revisions, hd images and a video? I'm appalled.

4 of 31

Agreed. Cameron should just stop work. No contract, so no feedback repercussions. 

Cameron C Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
5 of 31

I'm sorry I didn't state it clearly. He did make me sign a contract with his writing services company that he owns. 

So I am in a bad spot, aren't I? I really liked the subject that I was writing about too. It was in my forte.

PS: Don't be appalled. I had to revise it 5 times mainly because I did make some mistakes + his preferences. No big deal there. But is our deal unfair to you guys? I mean, either way I'd still take it because I'm a college student that has needs too. I just hoped I'd get paid more than $20.

Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
6 of 31

You need to have an Upwork hourly or fixed price contract to be sure that you will be paid. An outside contract/NDA does not guarantee payment. Either ask for him to send you a fixed price contract, or say your goodbyes. No need to be ashamed, people get scammed here early on. Recognize this, and move on.

edit: now that you have seen the kind of work he wants, ask him for an UPWORK fixed price contract of any amount you deem justified. $40, , etc. 

Highlighted
angela l Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
7 of 31

Hi Cameron,

the fact is, you are employed throuhg his company or contracter, you got the job on  Upwork. Your payment is not guaranteed and by the sound of this guy it looks like you will not get paid anyway. 

He is not cool, this is the worst client I´ve ever heard about. 

Insist on contract or, much better at this stage, I suppose, cut your losses and lose contact with this guy.

No contract, no bad feedback. Just a lot of work for nothing. Better luck next time!

angela l Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
8 of 31

I could not find the option to edit my text. There was a mistake

The fact is, you are NOT employed through his company

Hi Cameron,

the fact is, you are employed throuhg his company or contracter, you got the job on  Upwork. Your payment is not guaranteed and by the sound of this guy it looks like you will not get paid anyway. 

He is not cool, this is the worst client I´ve ever heard about. 

Insist on contract or, much better at this stage, I suppose, cut your losses and lose contact with this guy.

No contract, no bad feedback. Just a lot of work for nothing. Better luck next time!

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 31

You won't get paid more than $20 by that client, if you get paid at all. You should ask Upwork support to check to see if you even have a contract if you can't tell. And, you should find out what the document you signed actually says. 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 31
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS