cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing it right? (An urgent 3-question thread)

Cameron C Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
21 of 31

What a way to add insult to injury, guys. Yes, I did write that. I rephrased it, let's move on. But yeah it's stupid and I practically wasted my time working for a guy that gave me an NDA instead of a contract. The idea of the sentence is that I don't write to make money BEFORE Upwork. Following that sentence would be the words: "It's just serendipitous that I could be here in Upwork". I used to be (and still am) a poet back in my junior years and everybody knew I didn't charge money. I also reviewed their works because I was the most fluent English speaker in school. I was new and it said to add experiences (rookie mistake). I've learned my lesson now, thanks for the help.

Of course I came to Upwork to make money, don't rub it in. I'm already saddened by this as it is. 

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
22 of 31

Cameron, I can't speak for others, but at least for my post, that was not me trying to insult you. I was trying to give you some honest advice. Better for the words to sting from us than you getting burned by more clients and learning the hard way.

23 of 31

No, I actually want to thank you and everyone for their advice though. It's the bitter truth. I'm new here and thank God I came to you guys first before doing anything else. It's the only right call I made today, I guess. Anyway, he hasn't replied to my offer for a legit Upwork contract and raise yet. If he doesn't, well, it's the block/report button for him.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 31

Well, you put the free in "freelancer" that's for sure.

25 of 31

Was the burn really necessary? Hahaha. I mean, c'mon. Give me a break, mate. But I guess you can say my work is the best 'cause the best things in life are free. Thanks for the chuckle, ma'am.

Community Guru
Lisa W Member Since: Nov 14, 2015
26 of 31

@Cameron C wrote:

Was the burn really necessary? Hahaha. I mean, c'mon. Give me a break, mate. But I guess you can say my work is the best 'cause the best things in life are free. Thanks for the chuckle, ma'am.

Cameron,

I think you'll find that sarcastic 'burns' are a sign of affection around here, at least to a point. If you're deliberately doing something wrong, even after being advised otherwise, the sarcasm will take on a decidedly dismissive tone, but if you're serious about learning from your mistakes, then the awesome people here in the community are the best support you'll find.

You got scammed, but don't feel too bad. My first job on Upwork was from someone like your client who paid almost nothing for articles. I had a contract, but it wasn't funded and I didn't realize that until 2 months in. When I finally explained, nicely, that I would only do additional work with a funded milestone, the client disappeared and took the couple hundred dollars he owed me with him. It was frustrating, but I learned from my mistake and now I have multiple funded contracts with great clients and I've earned more for every job I've taken.

One thing I will suggest, and maybe someone else here can back me up or you can ask support, is that the article you wrote belongs to you. It's your work, and you've never been paid for it. So you can post it yourself, put it in your portfolio to show off your skills, etc. You might even want to send a message to the client stating that since he is unwilling to pay you for your work, you assume he was not happy with it and you will be using it yourself. That may not stop him, but he can't stop you either, unless he pays you for it.

All in all, it's a good lesson learned, and that experience is far more valuable than the $20 payment you would have gotten. Good luck!

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
27 of 31

"I think you'll find that sarcastic 'burns' are a sign of affection around here, at least to a point. If you're deliberately doing something wrong, even after being advised otherwise, the sarcasm will take on a decidedly dismissive tone, but if you're serious about learning from your mistakes, then the awesome people here in the community are the best support you'll find."

Lisa is right. Everyone makes mistakes; we can only pray that ours are (mostly) behind us. The love of the community might be tough, but anyone who is serious about doing a good job for their clients is "one of our own". So the sarcasm is kind of like a big brother jabbing you in the side and then ruffling your hair. 

"One thing I will suggest, and maybe someone else here can back me up or you can ask support, is that the article you wrote belongs to you. It's your work, and you've never been paid for it. So you can post it yourself, put it in your portfolio to show off your skills, etc. You might even want to send a message to the client stating that since he is unwilling to pay you for your work, you assume he was not happy with it and you will be using it yourself."

This is absolutely correct. If you were not paid for the article, it is yours to do with as you see fit. You should, in fact, go a step further and if the client refuses to pay, or, if they just "disappear", tell them that you will do periodic searched online to see if they are using your content, as they own no rights to it.

28 of 31

Yeah, no. I'm sorry if I reacted like that at first. I was just kinda bummed after all the effort I exerted to make a perfect article for him. Thanks for the support, you guys. I'll do all the things in your lists when and if he does run away, and I'll try to be more careful next time. Wow, the Upwork community is cooler than I initially thought it would be (I mean that in the best way, of course). Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
29 of 31

If he does not pay for the writing, it belongs to you. You can use it for a writing sample in your profile.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
30 of 31

I wouldn't worry about any contracts signed. Dude man is paying $20 for 10 1500 word articles. He ain't got the money for international lawsuits. The contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS