🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Am I have to work more than the limit of the ...
Page options
skills1
Community Member

Am I have to work more than the limit of the hours per week of the contract ?

Hello, guys .. I have a question it may be a bad story for me in my start on Upwork .. my client sent me an invitation and I accepted it on 26 Jan and I worked with him for 1 week, the contract weekly limit was 10 hrs only for 1-3 months .. but I worked more than 16 hours in the first week, also the client behavior was so silly he always in rush and need me to make everything quickly and I don't mind with hard-working but you know it's only 3$ per hour I think he doesn't have the right to make me work more than 10 hrs as he said at the contract .. we contacted each other on Whatsapp and at the next week, he made me work for 7,30 hours non stop and that what he needs me to do every day .. I didn't like that he was taking advantage of me because this is my first job, so I ended the contract with him because I did twice the time that he set for me, and yet I only receive bad treatment and waste my time. In addition, because his treatment resembled slavery, however, I endured and persevered. But in the second week, when I worked for 7 and a half hours without interruption, I felt the peak of exploitation and he was treating me with extreme nervousness and unacceptably. And now when I have terminated the contract he threatening me that he will give me a bad feedback and will ask Upwork to refund the money because I ended the contract before 1 month at least but he wants to make me work all the day and the limit of the week is only 10 hrs.. even though I recorded the hours on the tracker everything is on the work diary and my activity was very high .. and also there are many hours that exceed the 10 hours specified were shown in red so I was sometimes I feel frustrated that it will not be counted, I only recorded 10 hours of the red time, this means that I worked in the first week more than 20 hours, I really don't know if that's normal or not but I think this is abnormal so that was the reason that I ended the contract for, My question is "Is that what should happen in freelancing career ?" and did I take the right discussion or not? and if it's not so what should I did in this case?

I'm sorry for this long post, I hope someone replies to me and I appreciate any reply and hope you all have a nice time and more clients (good clients only) .. thanks for reading this book.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jaybopp82
Community Member

You should end a contract at any point you feel sleighted or taken advantage of.  You did the right thing.  You can move on now with your career.  However, I know there are plenty of people willing to work for 3/hour on this platform.  I'm not one of them, though, and agree with what you've done.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jaybopp82
Community Member

You should end a contract at any point you feel sleighted or taken advantage of.  You did the right thing.  You can move on now with your career.  However, I know there are plenty of people willing to work for 3/hour on this platform.  I'm not one of them, though, and agree with what you've done.

Thanks Jason I appreciate your reply and I was just trying to make it as the first step but I agree that was the right decision to end the contract .. I respected his work but he didn't respect my work.. thank you for replying bro and hope you have a nice time there 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members