Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I missing something here?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
1 of 25

I have been on oDesk coming up on five years now.  Yes they just rolled out the connect system, and so many people are complaining about it.  "We only get 60 connects and each project costs 2 connects to apply"  "I have already run out of connects"   Okay well in the old system the max number of applications was 25.  Now If I am dividing correctly, would that mean that now you're actually getting 30 applications with the new connect system?  

Just an observation.  

Tip:  If you are running out of connects so quickly and not getting responses, maybe you need to revisit your approach on posts and start researching clients better.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
2 of 25

Just a note...the old system allowed for 750 applications a month.

You could apply to a maximum of 25 a day x 30 days.

All you had to do was withdraw all your applications at the end of the day and the next day you would have 25 new applications available.

This caused massive problem. People were spamming every job opening whether or not they were qualified.

Now they are complaining that they can't get jobs. I agree with you. Be more selective in the jobs you apply to and thank all the spammers who caused this situation.

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
3 of 25

Jean S wrote: "This caused massive problem. People were spamming every job opening whether or not they were qualified."

I have an extremely difficult time buying that... So 500 people apply to your job. Great! (that number never happens by the way). Just look at the credentials and say yes or no! Set your eyesight filter on stars, job completion rate, or something... It's that simple for employers.

The issue really seems to boil down to oDesk looking for another revenue stream. They know that charging the employers will slow down the growth rate of the business. On the other hand, if you give an entry level of "Connects" to the freelancer community, the buyers is going to get the same relevant people they would have gotten before "Connects", but now perhaps even more skilled and qualified peoeple are passed up and taxed with 2 less connects (opportunities) to get jobs for the month without having to pay oDesk money! That's the reality of the matter. Want me to prove it? Here.

Ever seen this?

"Hourly - Expert ($$$)"

And they pick guy/gal for 0.50 (yes, fifty cents) an hour....

There go two "Connects".

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 25

re: "I have an extremely difficult time buying that... So 500 people apply to your job. Great!"

No. Not great.

If 500 people apply to your job, and most of them are not qualified, it takes more time to hire somebody than if only 5 people apply to your job.

The Connects system is designed to make things easier for the client, which makes it more likely that the client actually hires somebody, and that makes it more likely that contractors get hired.

So the Connects system IS good for most contractors, but it is bad for constractors who previously sent out job applications indiscriminately to as many jobs as they possibly could.

A small number of really good job candidates IS BETTER FOR THE CONTRACTOR than a large number of unqualified job candidates, or even a large number of mediocre candidates.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mr M Member Since: Apr 27, 2013
5 of 25

@Preston H wrote:

If 500 people apply to your job, and most of them are not qualified, it takes more time to hire somebody than if only 5 people apply to your job.

I can see no change in the amount of applications on each job posted on odesk .

Its only a new money earning way of odesk from freelancers.

"One thing I know, that I know nothing. This is the source of my wisdom"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 25

re: "The issue really seems to boil down to oDesk looking for another revenue stream."

I know that you sincerely believe this. But this is factually incorrect.

The Connects program is not designed as a way to collect additional money from contractors. It is designed as a way to increase the quality of the client experience.

The people at oDesk who designed the Connects program would be perfectly happy if NO contractors signed up for the Premium service and paid fees to be a member.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 25

Preston H wrote: "I know that you sincerely believe this. But this is factually incorrect.

The Connects program is not designed as a way to collect additional money from contractors. It is designed as a way to increase the quality of the client experience

The people at oDesk who designed the Connects program would be perfectly happy if NO contractors signed up for the Premium service and paid fees to be a member.

Hi Preston, the system needed to increase the quality of the client experience is already in place. ... It has been for years.. As I said elsewhere, "There are computers that do an excellent job of what's called "filtering". You know, if a person says they want 4.5 stars and above then the employer gets that.  Not just some guy that wants to apply anyway with 2 stars... They want North America, then only North America sees it...."

That will improve the "client experience". Not charging me for something beyond 30 applications.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
8 of 25

Katrina Said: "Okay well in the old system the max number of applications was 25.  Now If I am dividing correctly, would that mean that now you're actually getting 30 applications with the new connect system?  "

--

I may be mistaken, because I never used all mine, but I believe previously you received 25 applications a week. Or rather, you received 25 and when you used any you would have those application credits replenished 7 days after you used one.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
9 of 25

Angela L wrote: "I may be mistaken, because I never used all mine, but I believe previously you received 25 applications a week."

No. If you withdrew an application your application credit was given back to you. Try that with a "Connect". Ha!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
10 of 25

Like my title says, Am I missing something.  I stand corrected.  I just have never used up all of my apps so I didn't realize yes you got it back after 7 days.  I personally like the connect system.  I have only used 8 connects since it was implemented as most of my work comes from invitations.  

I believe the new system forces freelancers to rethink their strategy and quit applying to every job that is posted.  It busts my bubble when I see "newbies" who claim they are experts in web programming and coding and such bidding on transcription jobs for $5 per audio hour just to get the gig.  And these are the same people who complain they are running out of connects too quickly.

Freelancers-value your talents, showcase your expertise, if you are a web programmer or coder, apply in that category, they surely make more than transcriptionists from what I've seen, don't waste your connects on a $5 job that's going to take you 4 hours to do.  Take the time to look at the client's history instead of trying to be the first "lowest bid" applicant on the list.  IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY AND YOU WILL NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL DOING THIS.

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS