Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I missing something here?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
11 of 25

@Katrina B wrote:

Freelancers-value your talents, showcase your expertise, if you are a web programmer or coder, apply in that category, they surely make more than transcriptionists from what I've seen, don't waste your connects on a $5 job that's going to take you 4 hours to do.  Take the time to look at the client's history instead of trying to be the first "lowest bid" applicant on the list.  IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY AND YOU WILL NEVER BE SUCCESSFUL DOING THIS.

I agree with this. Before I apply to a job I am always careful to review everything I can about the job, as well as the history of the client. Not only how previous freelancers have rated them, but also how the client has rated previous freelancers, what kind of comments they've made, etc. Do they say they are looking for Experienced $$$ freelancers, but then pay $3./hr? I look a the full picture before I even apply because not only will it cost me connects now, but their review of me at then end, justified or not, could have serious ramifications on my future. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
12 of 25

I think we are going to see a maximum number of categories you can submit applications to soon.

Other sites limit your categories and charge you if you want to add more than the allowed number.

So, if you think it's bad now, just wait.

Katrina gives good advice. A lot of freelancers need to start following these suggestions.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 25

re: "maybe you need to revisit your approach on posts and start researching clients better."

Interesting statement.

I don't actually apply to many jobs any more, because since the Connects system started I now mostly work only on jobs I get from private invites. But when I was applying to jobs, I never researched clients.

I carefully consider the job description, and I applied to job postings based on the job description, but I didn't try to look up information about clients.

Perhaps my perspective is not typical, though, because the type of work I do is often done early in a project, as a company or client is first starting things. So although I work for many experienced clients, it is quite common for me to work for first-time oDesk clients.

I make sure clients are payment-verified before working for them, but I'll accept job interviews and jobs before a client is payment verified.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 25

re: "I think we are going to see a maximum number of categories you can submit applications to soon."

I don't think this is coming any time soon. I don't even think this is being planned.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
15 of 25

Hi Jean, 

We don't have plans to limit the number of categories to which you can submit proposals.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nassoro C Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
16 of 25

Katrina, let me concetrate here: " We only get 60 connects and each project costs 2 connects to apply"  Let's call a spade a spade! Not each project costs 2 Connects but when you're out of those Free Connects, then Each Applied Job will cost you $2... crystal clear!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
17 of 25

@Nassoro C wrote:

Katrina, let me concetrate here: " We only get 60 connects and each project costs 2 connects to apply"  Let's call a spade a spade! Not each project costs 2 Connects but when you're out of those Free Connects, then Each Applied Job will cost you $2... crystal clear!

If you choose your clients carefully you won't need to purchase connects. Looking at your profile you have sales and customer service listed. There are a ton of long term jobs doing both. Why don't you focus on a long term job, I see you have one or two already that are long term. Raise your rate from the $5.00 an hour you charge to more and go after another long term contract. You have a good rating. There isn't any reason you need to spend 30 connects in the month if you land another long term client. 

I understand it is frustrating for those who are use to applying for jobs that look like something they can do, but there is no reason not to choose jobs that are in your skillset and focus on specific skills and land something that is higher paying or long term. I know not everyone wants to work long term as well, but the connect system gives you a choice. You can work with the 30 connects a month or purchase an upgrade to get more connects. You are not forced to buy the connects. You just need to be more aware of what you are applying for.

They are refunding connects on jobs that are turning out to be scams, and on jobs cancelled. Flag jobs you know are scams so you get your connects back and be more selective.

I have 58 connects left this month, but i work long term jobs. I spent two and got several invites and took on one more client. I know I can't compare myself to those who are struggling with the connects, but you can make them work if you choose more carefully what you apply for. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nassoro C Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
18 of 25

Suzanne N wrote:

Looking at your profile you have sales and customer service listed. There are a ton of long term jobs doing both. Why don't you focus on a long term job, I see you have one or two already that are long term. 

Suzanne.

First thank you for your contribution. First I agree with you on one thing, that's, if you've a long term job you don't need additional Connects, especially those Paid Connects. On my side, though my profile shows about four or five ongoing jobs but practically there's only one active job, the others being just dormant jobs. You can easily reveal a dormant job by looking out the life span of the job and hours performed. For instance, you see the job with a status "January 2015- Present" but hours worked may be 20 hours or less! Such job it's definetly a dormant job!

But in addition to that, though I have one ongoing job which's a long term since I have worked with the same client for almost six months now, but the workload is currently very small. It's very usual to finish a week or two without a job and the reason behind is because the project is probably about to become to an end. So, basing on my current workload which's sometime less than 10 hours a week, and sometime with no even an hour to work for the whole week, you'll definetely see that I need additional connects when my free connects are out.

About concetrating on long term jobs, of course, you're very right and I am usually not interested with short term jobs. May be the greatest problem I have is because I don't want to hold more than two jobs at a time. And if I have a reliable Client with enough working hours per week (like my current client), I usually prefer to have only one job at a time. All other jobs, except one found in my profile, were initiated by Clients. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
19 of 25

If the lady has multiple long term positions, then she's lucky. You don't just get long term jobs because they exist somewhere. Nor do you get them by working for people that say, "Hey, I have a lot more work after this" either. I'm a seasoned oDesk vet and I'll be the first to tell you most people don't know where their business is headed, thoughu they may act like they rule the world.

I almost want to say this "Connects"  discussion is really only for those that can relate. If you aren't going through the issues they present, it's almost a non-discusser for such people. They just can't empathize with those that are enduring it. 

The bottomline is that Connects are not beneficial to freelancers, in any way imaginable. Nor do they really benefit employers. Employers will still get the same people that disregard requirements. Fewer, perhaps. Does that mean it's an ideal solution when compared to simply not allowing people that don't meet the criteria (i.e.4.5 stars +, 100 hours, North America only, etc.)? Certainly not. So who then really benefits? Does oDesk benefit from $2 per app?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
20 of 25

@Nassoro C wrote:

@Suzanne N wrote:

Looking at your profile you have sales and customer service listed. There are a ton of long term jobs doing both. Why don't you focus on a long term job, I see you have one or two already that are long term. 

Suzanne.

First thank you for your contribution. First I agree with you on one thing, that's, if you've a long term job you don't need additional Connects, especially those Paid Connects. On my side, though my profile shows about four or five ongoing jobs but practically there's only one active job, the others being just dormant jobs. You can easily reveal a dormant job by looking out the life span of the job and hours performed. For instance, you see the job with a status "January 2015- Present" but hours worked may be 20 hours or less! Such job it's definetly a dormant job!

But in addition to that, though I have one ongoing job which's a long term since I have worked with the same client for almost six months now, but the workload is currently very small. It's very usual to finish a week or two without a job and the reason behind is because the project is probably about to become to an end. So, basing on my current workload which's sometime less than 10 hours a week, and sometime with no even an hour to work for the whole week, you'll definetely see that I need additional connects when my free connects are out.

About concetrating on long term jobs, of course, you're very right and I am usually not interested with short term jobs. May be the greatest problem I have is because I don't want to hold more than two jobs at a time. And if I have a reliable Client with enough working hours per week (like my current client), I usually prefer to have only one job at a time. All other jobs, except one found in my profile, were initiated by Clients. 

Nassoro.

Just a suggestion, but I would try and get the clients on the dead contracts to close them and ask them nicely if they would give you back feedback, not demanding but asking nicely could they please leave feedback accordingly. Get those closed out and focus on landing a customer support or sales job. You have great english, you have a long term job to show you can stick with something, Your JS is decent and so is you star rating. Look at something long term and write out a dynamic coverletter and I bet you land a long term position.

I am like you, I don't like to work more then 2 jobs but I am working 3 right now as one slowed down in hours, so I picked up another one with about 10 hours a week. I do customer service/tech support on my one job and love it and have been with the client for over 2 years. You could raise your rate some and make up the difference. I see you are an agency contractor, perhaps you should think about working just as a freelancer as well. Unless of course you are the agency.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS