🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Am I still required to register for GST on Up...
Page options
db200a09
Community Member

Am I still required to register for GST on Upwork? (Australia)

When I open Upwork, I see a message banner saying "To comply with tax regulations and avoid fees, you must provide your GST ID. Please click here to update your tax information. For more details, read our FAQs."

However, I don't have a GST and I'm exempt from registering for GST because I’m under the $75,000 threshold, so what should I do now? I already updated it by selecting that I don't have a GST ID, however the automated message banner won't disappear when I open Upwork. So I just want to know for certain if I am still required to register for GST?

3 REPLIES 3
759e32fa

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As required by Australian law, Upwork collects the Goods and Services Tax (GST) from freelancers, agencies, and clients in Australia, unless you have provided a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) and acknowledge that you're registered for GST. We assess GST on fees for services provided by us, not on fees you charge your clients for your services.

You may check this help article for more information.

~ AJ
Upwork
04a7c087
Community Member

Thanks for the reply AJ. I am having the same issue.

Nothing for me to update because I don't have a GST and are exempt from registering, but the popup is still there, saying "To comply with tax regulations and avoid fees, you must provide your GST ID." (screenshot attached).

Can I just ignore this or is there some action I need to take?

Hi Eamon,

Thank you for your message. I understand you don't have a GST and are exempt from registering. I see that you have already selected the 'I don't have a GST' option on the Tax Information page. That said, Upwork will collect a 10% tax applicable to Upwork fees, including the freelancer service fee you pay when you earn on Upwork, the fee you pay for a Freelancer Plus membership (if you have one), and the cost of purchasing additional Connects until you update your GST details. 

You can consult your tax advisor to determine your GST obligations. To learn more about registering for GST, you can visit the Australian Taxation Office site.

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members