🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Am I the only freelancer with an old Mac?
Page options
stephanieholb
Community Member

Am I the only freelancer with an old Mac?

My MacBook Pro will not accept the new version of the desktop time tracker as of September 2019. I was able to download an older version (after talking to an Upwork systems guy) but now can't load the timer unless I update my laptop, which means buying a new one. Since I don't have a couple thousand $$ lying around I have a bit of a problem. Is there anyone else having this issue? Have you found a solution to it? Any help appreciated!

Stephanie

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ultimately there are limitations on resources and development time, and Upwork's development team is not going to maintain all of its software on all past versions of hardware and OS. That is true for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.

For some users, this will mean using fixed-price contracts or hourly contracts that allow manual time, if they cn no longer use the Upwork desktop time tracker on their current computer.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
prestonhunter
Community Member

Ultimately there are limitations on resources and development time, and Upwork's development team is not going to maintain all of its software on all past versions of hardware and OS. That is true for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux.

For some users, this will mean using fixed-price contracts or hourly contracts that allow manual time, if they cn no longer use the Upwork desktop time tracker on their current computer.

How old is it?  I recently had the same problem with my 4 year-old MacBook Air. The time tracker stopped working, and I received a message that it was no longer compatible with my MacBook's operating system.  But I was still able to upgrade the operating system to Mojave, and now the tracker works fine. Skip the latest Apple upgrade of Catalina or whatever it's called, and see if your system accepts the earlier upgrade of Mojave. You can download it here: https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave  

Lisa - My laptop is a dinosaur! More than 4 years old for sure. It will not accept Mojave or Catalina. Yikes!

I was hoping I would not have to buy a new laptop, but I think you're right, Preston. Fortunately I'm working with a client right now that will accept manually entered time, but I had another client that would not - even after I sent him the email with my discussion with the Upwork tech guy. I tried Bohan & Lisa's fixes first but I guess now I will have to admit defeat. LOL! I'm a Luddite for sure. 

Thank you all for the replies.

With a little digging, you can find older used Macs that will upgrade through the current version of OS. I recently made a considered decision to buy a reconditioned 5-year-old Mac on Amazon, after checking Apple's information about compatibility. We are in a hardware renewal cycle now, meaning prices on older machines are dropping.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephanie,

Could you try using this beta version of the app? I hope this will help.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Bojan - I tried the link but it didn't work. Got the circle with a line through it. Thanks for your help though!

hello, i have the same issue, was thi solved in the end?

Hi Agnese,

Upwork Desktop App works on OS X 10.10 and higher. Unfortunately, we won't be able to support older OS.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

I have a 10.15 OS for my Macbook Air, but the new version of the tracker doesn't open. It's in my dock, but no tracker appears to track my time. HELP! 😞

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Could you please try accessing the Desktop from your context menu like below:

Capture.PNG

Then you should be able to choose "Open time tracker" and start the app. 
If you`re still experiencing any problems on your end, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Thank you. I actually have it on my dock as before, but when I open it, there is no tracker that pops up. My Mac OS is already updated to Catalina 10.15, so there shouldn't be a problem, but nothing happens when I click it to open. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times today, but to no avail.

Thank you for the follow up, Stephanie,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your Desktop App. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

That usually happens when I delete an app. Have you tried downloading it again?

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well with all of you.

I'm a new member and I'm also having trouble logging into the desktop app.

I will have hourly work with my client.

My MBP is 2011 with my OS 10.10.5 and I have downloaded the desktop app version 5.3.3.800 and 5.3.3.862. (It supposed to be not a matter)

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 5.31.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 7.48.02 PM.png

I have uninstalled and re-installed it repeatedly.

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 4.50.32 PM.png

In the accessibility settings, I can't check the upwork application list either.

can't check list the appcan't check list the app

I have a few questions:
1. Does my OS no longer support the upwork desktop app?

2. Does the upwork moderator have the latest version of the desktop app that I can download?

3. Are there any other solutions for me, besides buying a new or used mac.

Thank you, really appreciate it.

I uninstall then re-install  dekstop app version 5.2.3.771.

It works to checklist the app in the accessibility:

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 8.02.09 PM.png

But still I can't log in to the app:

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 8.02.55 PM.png

Please help me.

Hi Sufia,

Thanks for reaching out to us. The Upwork Desktop App is working on Mac OS 10.10 or higher and it should work for you as well. Please try the following:

1. Exit the Upwork Desktop App from your system/device.
  2. Open the terminal app
  3. Then run this command> mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Upwork{,.bak}
  4. Then start again 

For the download link, you can check out this page. Let us know if the problem persists so that we can assist you further. 

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

Thank you for super fast response.

I had tried it but it doesn't work.

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 9.00.59 PM.png

I just copy-paste the command from you?

Please let me know.

Hi Aleksandar,

Now I have a new trouble.

"Internet connection not detected,....."

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 9.43.40 PM.png

Since I can upload an image in this forum, so I have a good connection then.

Please help me Aleksandar.

Hi Sufia,

Thanks for following up. I shared your issue with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

Now it works and good:

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 10.02.53 PM.png

Thanks for your terminal command, that's the point.

I uninstall all version and then re-install the version 5.3.3.862 and it works.

Thank you for your help Aleksandar, really appreciate it.

Have a great weekend.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths