🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Am I the only one that faces too many issues ...
Page options
chrispap98
Community Member

Am I the only one that faces too many issues with Upwork's service?

As a person, I am extremely fair in my life. I pay a whole lot of fees on Upwork, but accept that due to the reason that the platform helps me find new clients and of course that has a cost from them which they need to cover. 

However, during the last 10 days, I have been facing many issues with the service and the customer support.

First of all, a client of mine wanted to send me a bonus of 50 USD and accidentally clicked 550 USD, which I immediately refunded. Then, for an unknown reason, one week later, I received the same payment again and I refunded it again. The client, however, was charged three times (!) for this transaction (they are telling the truth, I saw their reports). However, I didn't receive the amount for the third time. The have contacted Upwork a lot of times, but still hasn't received their money back and are now very frustrated with me too and I understand them. This is a big mistake from Upwork and I am facing the consequences of that.

Secondly, I added 3 new payment methods on my account, which were supposed to be activated on the 21st of July, but were not. I contacted their support, asking for the reason why the methods were not activated. They said that this is a mistake from their side and they would fix it so that I would be able to withdraw my money, which I needed and could not wait. We closed the chat and of course, nobody ever contacted me and the methods were activated one day after, despite them telling me that they will do their best and inform me about the outcome.

Last but not least, when I finally processed this payment a few hours ago, the exchange rate I accepted was 0,84 EUR/USD and the one I finally received was 0,833 after the processing, which means that I lost 15 EUR without accepting it. Note here that I contacted the banks that I split the amount to first and they both said that this is on Upwork's control. I should be receiving the amount that I accept. Would I ever receive more than I accepted? I really doubt that. This is obviously a hidden spread, which Upwork benefits from, I cannot accept that it is something different. I understand that they have no control over the exchange rate, but when I am accepting a price, I should be locking it. If the rate suddenly dropped to 0,7 EUR/USD, would I lose ~150 EUR just like that? Without my acceptance?

I am seriously thinking of moving to another platform, they never listen to the freelancers, their customer support only answers automatically and when they make a mistake, they pass it on to you. Whenever they are to receive fees for your work, they receive them immediately, no issues at all there, but whenever they are to pay you, you have to wait for days, contact banks, Upwork's support e.tc. This is unethical and against all work guidelines globally.

5 REPLIES 5
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Christos,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

1) We are not able to discuss specifics regarding your client and their account. I see the team is already assisting your client on their tickets.

2) I'll check this with the team, but from what I see, our support team escalated it to the Technical team and still waiting for an update. That's the reason why you haven't received an update on your ticket. As you said, all the payment methods are already active.

3) The team already provided more information about it on this support ticket.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

1) I didn't ask that, but charging a person 3 times is completely out of the line, how was he charged 3 times without his approval?

2) I was supposed to receive the update yesterday, it is useless to me now.

3) The support I received was not enough, accepting a rate and then receiving a different one is illegal.

Christos P wrote:
3) The support I received was not enough, accepting a rate and then receiving a different one is illegal.

3) You don't "accept" a rate. The rate you are shown is (as it clearly tells you) the rate from the previous day. Exchange rates change and as Upwork don't do the conversion (the banks do) they can't tell you which rate applies at the exact moment. Upwork also don't earn any money from it. What you need to understand is that banks charge for sending and exchanging money. They are not charities.

If you don't like the rates you get when withdrawing via local bank, use a different withdrawal method. I get a better return via PayPal and Payoneer than local bank, and it's faster, too.

I understand that more than you think I do. The actual rate is 0,85, the one I accepted was 0,84, which is obviously what the bank charges for their service. The extra amount up until 0,833 is something extra and completely hidden, as you see it only after you have been charged. Regarding PayPal, their rate is even worse (~0,82) and Payoneer has issues.

Hi Christos,

1) As shared previously, we can't discuss specifics regarding your client account for privacy reasons.

3) The rate that you saw was the last exchange rate as Petra already explained (it always says when you are withdrawing funds).

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members